I am not a Bandit - Honest

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just to follow up on this, I played yesterday in our monthly competition. Scored 33 points and was two points behind the overall winner.

My first 4 tee shots with the big stick were topped! Not just a little, but a lot! Like I was digging for Australia! After that, it stayed in the bag and out came the Crossover and I actually played to my handicap. But I blobbed the 17th due to a horrific slice into water and then a very bad 80 yard shot to the final green! So I may have come in perhaps 1 or 2 shots under.

As I said a the beginning of this post, when I pay well, I can shoot bandit scores compared to my handicap. But yesterday proved to me that, at the moment, my handicap is right. It is not because I have a poor quality swing or the way I hit the ball, or my course management, which is getting better or the simple mistakes - missing greens, miss-read putts, landing in rough etc, but to help with the bad mistakes I make - the top, the duff chip etc. If I can remove those, then I am confident my handicap will drop. But it is for me to do as and when I can. Incidentally, my two PPs had no issues with my handicap -V- Score -V- Swing etc.

As the author of the original post, thanks for all the good advice and wise words!

So if I have read this correctly, you are basically saying that you played poorly? You finished 2 points behind the winner, would have been in buffer zone if it was a competition and still think your handicap is about right?

I wish I could play poorly and still make buffer :mad:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if I have read this correctly, you are basically saying that you played poorly? You finished 2 points behind the winner, would have been in buffer zone if it was a competition and still think your handicap is about right?

bandit springs to mind!!!

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I don't think I said I played poorly? I think I said I had a few bad shots.

If I did imply this, I didn't mean to. Actually when the wood went back into the bag, I played okay - 1 birdie, 2 pars, 5 bogeys and the rest DB or worse including 3 blobs. So yes, I think my handicap - on an average day - is about right for my level of actual play. I don't think my handicap should be seen as a reflection on how well I strike the ball, how far I can hit it, or the fact that I can read a putt well or have that stroke of luck when a long putt drops. However, where the handicap is helping me is with the very bad shots that I wish I could eradicate and am working hard to try and do. When you top a drive 30 yards on a par 5 it makes it friggin' hard to make par or bogey or even double bogey! We can all have a great day where we shoot below handicap. For the record my last three rounds have been 98, 97 and 91 on a par 72. But a the moment, I think I am happy and that the handicap will drop this year.