Hyperthetical situation/question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hyperthetical question for the knowledgeable amongst us, probably in a similar vein to Imurg's Driver 3 wood thread.

Two golf clubs, A & B.

Club A is a fairway wood. Has 18* of loft and a 42.5" shaft (68g shaft).

Club B is a hybrid. Has 17* of loft and a 40.3/4" shaft (82g shaft).

Both shafts are the same manufacturer, model and flex.

Would you expect to see a noticable difference in distance between these 2 clubs?

If so, what makes the difference? loft, shaft, or a combination of the two?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It depends on the swing of the person hitting them.

The hybrid will be longer for a faster swing speed, the fairway longer for a lesser swing speed. So it depends on how fast you swing the club, and what flight you are looking for.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It depends on the swing of the person hitting them.

The hybrid will be longer for a faster swing speed, the fairway longer for a lesser swing speed. So it depends on how fast you swing the club, and what flight you are looking for.

Sorry Murph. Assume swing speeds are equal (I know, I know) and both shafts are mid launch.

:confused::confused:

Only one man was going to St Ives.

I am far too dumb to know this one...

:rofl: Monty

It's from a discussion 2 lads were having last night at the range. I was just curious to see what the knowledgeable folk on here would make of it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But are the equal swing speeds fast or slow?

It is impossible to answer the question. The answer depends on the swing speed.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
for me personally the fairway wood goes further.

i much prefer the longer shaft that allows for a more around the body sweeping style swing.

i really don't get on with hybrids,

sorry probably doesn't help, my 2ps worth

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Due to the higher centre of gravity in the hybrid (fairways are weighted to get the ball airborne quickly) it will launch lower and with less spin. For a more powerful player, this will carry ok, and roll out a bit.

For the fairway wood, they are designed to produce back spin from the low c of g, and a higher ball flight. So the higher swing speed will impart too much back spin, and it will baloon, and drop like a dead hamster.

For the low swing speed player, the hybrid won't carry enough, and the fairway will have a nice high launch and a decent carry. The longer shaft will help with the club head speed.

Obviously you can buy a players fairway, like a Titleist 906F, which is a git for most players to get off the ground.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks again Murph.

The basis for the quesion is this. At the range last night the guys in the next 2 bays were having a discussion about distances / club. The chap hitting the balls was obviously a good, low H/C player and said to his friend

"Going to ditch the 5 wood as I hit my hybrid the same distance" or words to that effect

Just seemed strange to me that a club that is 1.3/4" shorter, although a degree stronger could actually be just as long/er, but what you say makes perfect sense as regards how he clubs are designed to affect the balls flight.

He had a pretty brisk swing, definatley faster than mine. That would make your comments correct, where as with my swing speed the fairway would be a better option with maybe a hybrid (If I could bring myself to buy one.... Don't like 'em) to bridge any gap between the wood and the 3 iron.

Thanks again Murph.

Last edited: