hybrids that are square at address?

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought the PXG hybrids and am struggling with the fact that they appear to be extremely closed at address. I find i either have to open the face (or what appears to be open to me) at address and have this fear of the ball flying right or I hit them and they have this draw that I am not comfortable with.

I don't really know what makes them appear closed - maybe it's the offset? But my pxg irons are slightly offset and they don't appear closed at all. The fact that the head is just plain black (no lines to use for alignment) doesn't help at all. I've already moved ALL the weights to favor a fade, but the ball still draws from time to time. I hardly miss to the right (which is my normal miss).

1) Are hybrids normally closed at address?
2) Does anyone know of hybrid clubs that are SQUARE at address? Is there even such a thing?
3) Any experience hitting these?

Thanks,
Sandy

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have experienced the same thing with many drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Its why I only ever buy 'pro' versions of the same clubs. These are supposed to be harder to hit than the non pro version as they have less forgiveness but as I can't stand looking at a closed face I have no other choice.

Most clubs come with a pro or better player version (for example I play X2 hot hybrids and they come both standard and X2 hot pro). The pro versions always sit square, sometimes a little open - but I like that.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I have experienced the same thing with many drivers, fairway woods and hybrids. Its why I only ever buy 'pro' versions of the same clubs. These are supposed to be harder to hit than the non pro version as they have less forgiveness but as I can't stand looking at a closed face I have no other choice.

Most clubs come with a pro or better player version (for example I play X2 hot hybrids and they come both standard and X2 hot pro). The pro versions always sit square, sometimes a little open - but I like that.

Think the standard X2 Hot sit square at address also; certainly looks like it to me with mine when I'm over the ball. I may be wrong on that though.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
When you say "closed at address" I assume this means that, when the club is put down withe the sole flat to the turf, the face appears closed. When I take my grip I have the club in the air & I grip it so that the face looks square relative to my grip. I then put the club down behind the ball & take my stance, guaranteeing that the club is square. I also hover the club, so I suppose this might stop the club slipping into a closed position. I can honestly say that it's never been a problem with any clubs I've owned.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stick a short allignent stick to the club face and get used to what it looks like when square.

You need to convince your subconscious.

It's partly the nature of the hybrid clubhead, partly the huge variation between leading edge and club face across models and partly the range of positions that people seem to use them in!

Finally, there's no doubt that people square up hybrids to get the face behind the ball and given it a good clout....but of course no one on here falls for that one.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swap you for some Adams hybrids if you fancy it, I've got 16, 19 and 22. :)

They may be slightly older than yours

:whistle:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
take a look at the 2016 M1 hybrid head, design as an anti left hybrid and sits very open compared to other hybrids (and can move the weight into the toe to help too)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
could just be an illusion, i've a Mizuno hybrid that's 2 deg open .. looks very closed at address to my eye, or could be my Imagination;)

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what part of the club head are you actually trying to line-up square to target at address ?

& do you have the clubhead soled on the ground ?

or maybes it could be more a part of a grip hold &/or set-up alignments & posture issue

assuming a right handed golfer is your trail forearm higher than the lead forearm at set-up?

G

guest100718

I have the XR hybrids, very nice they are too, they look quite chunky but do sit nice at address.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I have noticed this too with my Ping Hybrid. Maybe one of the reasons why I struggle with it. As a drawerer of the ball, the last thing I need is any help........My Titleist 3 wood on the other hand looks totally square at address and love that. It might be totally sub-concious but whatever it is, it doesn't help and doesn't endear me to the club.........