Hybrids pulling the ball right.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi all.
When I bought my irons, (Callaway Big Bertha's) I also bought a couple of Hybrids. (Callaway Diablo's)

Because I was new to the game & after reading lot's about it the Hybrids were supposed to be ultra easy to hit?
So I thought it was a good move to replace my longer irons with these hybrids.

Anyway, fast forward a few months & I have been struggling intermittently with the ball going right when using a hybrid
off the fairway.

Today, I reverted back to my longer irons & hey presto long straight shots with good ball flight.

Most of the reports / reviews I have read recommends hitting down on the back of the ball when using a Hybrid, the same as an iron.
I have found this not to be true, mine appear to only work well when I sweep the ball off the fairway, like a 3 wood.

It appears the you need a perfect strike to produce a half decent shot when using them, if I hit the ball a little too high (not topping it) it produces a horrible thud noise, with low ball flight & a decrease in distance, if I catch a little bit of ground before the ball, it appear to open the face of the club & send the ball badly right.

A least with an iron, if I do happen to catch a little bit of ground before the ball it obviously decreases the distance, but it doesn't sent the ball right.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with Hybrids?

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi, sorry not an expert as i am new to the game myself and play to similar level as yourself.

Personally i find that with my hybrids 3 and 4 that they are much lighter than my irons and as a result i tend to swing them faster with the same type of swing i use with an iron. I can send the hybrids right too as i tend to delay stirke and am not always able to square the clubface in time and the open face sends the ball right. not sure if this is the same issue as you, but find that if i slow the swing down i am able to square the clubface and hit straighter shots.
Sometimes less is more.

Best of luck

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I take it you mean pushing the ball right (as a right hander)?

Most handicap golfers seem to use a quite different swing (not necessarily deliberately!) when using driver, fairway woods, hybrids and irons - so this is one thing to establish (get someone to video you actually hitting balls). Another issue is alignment - some do not find them easy to align relative to irons. Finally many have quite different shafts that can influence the club face position at impact, and then there's weighting and bias built in to different models in different ways...