Hybrids & Hookers

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No it's not tigers autobiography :)

What is it about hybrids hooking?
I've tried all brands including adjustable heads and cannot stop them turning over. Oh to hit a buttery fade...

Are they all designed with slicers in mind :whistle:

I can't be the only one that fights the lefts with these, please tell me i'm not alone:confused:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH ive never had a problem with hybrids apart from the Mizuno JPX900 i have. set to 18 deg (which is 1 deg open on this model) and i only ever hit fades with it all neckie ones as well

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm the same I seem to turn my hybrids over or an insane hook, although my driver and 4wood are a gentle fade.
I've been thinking about getting a utility iron. After research I'm thinking a ping crossover 3 to replace my hybrid they seem to have good reviews and are more versatile than a driving iron

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I have tried various hybrids and get a serious case of the hooks with them but i have been known to hook a wedge! i'd rather hit a long iron or my 5 wood.

I am on the lookout for a 1 or 2 utility iron as i prefer the shape.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I usually hook my hybrid if the ball gets too far forward in the stance.
Ball position should be just forward of centre.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure if it's unique to me but had awful trouble hooking hybrids and eventually bought one with a stiff steel shaft still goes a long way but much straighter
Think the graphite ones were just too light compared to my irons

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
get yourself the original m1 hybrid, try it as is and if that doesnt work then switch the 2 weights around, you'll do very well to hook that in that set up

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
get yourself the original m1 hybrid, try it as is and if that doesnt work then switch the 2 weights around, you'll do very well to hook that in that set up

If you can handle 'old-school', try a Sonartec MD! I found these very 'hook-free' where others were definitely inclined to hook!
My Adams ones are also very 'go straight'!

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
ball position and a smooth swing should help. Ball just forward of centre and don't try to "kill it". I used to put the ball too far forwards and loose rhythm with my hybrids and the result was a hook.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hybrids frustrate the life out of me. Nine times out of 10 - or more realistically 99 times out of 100 - I can't help but hit a massive hook with them and like the OP it doesn't matter which brand, model, shaft etc I've tried, it's always the same. However, when I do catch the odd one properly the result is usually bang on the money, which is why I keep persevering in the hope I find the cure eventually...

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I never really got on with Hybrids until I tried an Adams Pro. I did have to go up to X flex compared to Stiff that I have in my irons, I found this gave me the ball flight and consistency I had been lacking with them previously.

I have just dropped on a 23* version I will re shaft so it matches my 20* one.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very common issue and often fixed in one lesson.

It’s usually a combination of trying to hit it too hard, ball position and swing misconceptions.

Move the ball back a little, swing easy and swing like our 7 iron.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I usually hook my hybrid if the ball gets too far forward in the stance.
Ball position should be just forward of centre.

I'd echo this. I can hook both my hybrid and utility club, but its more to do with me and ball position than the club. When it sneaks forward it's only going one place, and that's left.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very common issue and often fixed in one lesson.

It’s usually a combination of trying to hit it too hard, ball position and swing misconceptions.

Move the ball back a little, swing easy and swing like our 7 iron.

This, and also that most will close the club face to square it to their eye and gain those valuable yards.....seniors don't seem to have these problems!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 2 hyrbids

both taylormade jetspeeds

one 3 hybrid.. and a 4

the 3 I have used about 10 times.. hit really well 1/10 the rest average and not a nice shape

the 4 however i hit most rounds and half of them are really great hits

its one of my favourite clubs