Hybrid

GooseDosser

Visit site
Hi all new to this forum and new to golf. I was looking to purchase a hybrid as I struggle to hit off the Tee with Driver and 3 wood but have alot more success with a Hybrid. I currently use a Benross Delta X Hybrid but I'm looking to upgrade. I like the looks of the Stealth, LTDX and Callaway Rogue ST. What Would you recommend for a beginner?

Cheers

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Hello and welcome.

Know nothing about hybrids beyond my G25 and Taylormade Burner. Both pretty good but the Taylormade has a habit of turning in massive draws due to the closed face.

By all means get another hybrid, but my advice would be to learn to hit driver. I had an old 5 Wood (Donnay Evolution!) when I started a few years ago. I could hit it 180 on average, and it got me below 90 a few times, but learning to hit driver makes lower scoring more likely and much more fun ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As BM opens....Hi and welcome.

There's no need to 'upgrade' the Benross Hybrid.
Better, imo, to have some (a series of) lessons to get the 3W and Driver working properly.
How well do you hit your irons and any wedges?

Neeko1988

Visit site
I agree with above. I made do with a 3 wood for a period due to not liking driver and got down to 9 handicap.

It was only after persevering with driver and learning to hit it that I really got my handicap down. Hard to hit greens when you have such long second shots all the time.

In the flip side I have the stealth hybrid and love it.

GooseDosser

Visit site
Thanks for advice ive been having Lessons for my Irons, just want a club I can use to get me in play off the tees. I like the looks Of The Callaway Rogue and it seems very forgiving

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for advice ive been having Lessons for my Irons, just want a club I can use to get me in play off the tees. I like the looks Of The Callaway Rogue and it seems very forgiving

It's like chipping or bunker shots, it's just another skill you have to learn, you can't just buy a club that will do it for you.
Sorry

GooseDosser

Visit site
It's like chipping or bunker shots, it's just another skill you have to learn, you can't just buy a club that will do it for you.
Sorry
Not saying that am I ? , I was asking for a recommendation on a Hybrid as you hit them like Irons which I'm having Lessons for.
It's short term til I have lessons with Woods

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't the existing Benross hybrid allow that?
Admittedly,i t's a bit 'fat shaped' one, so maybe 'Wood swing' (sweep) oriented, but those that are obviously 'iron' types are more difficult to hit, so lose much of the 'hybrid' benefit.
As ever, practice provides substantial benefits/rewards!

Last edited:

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ping G425 hybrids are the easiest to hit hybrids I’ve ever hit. Sit lovely behind the ball and nice unobtrusive head and stock shaft. Try them out if you can.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hit as many as you can and take your pick from there. I hate the mini wood style hybrids so use the more slimmer cross over style, but each to their own.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit patronising…

Not really. I gave him my opinion and he disagreed, there's nothing I can do about it.
I'm not going to argue the toss with him as he knows his position better than I do so I'll stay out.
If it came across as patronising then I'm sorry.
It's no excuse, but sitting in my house for 2 years hasn't improved my mood.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really. I gave him my opinion and he disagreed, there's nothing I can do about it.
I'm not going to argue the toss with him as he knows his position better than I do so I'll stay out.
If it came across as patronising then I'm sorry.
It's no excuse, but sitting in my house for 2 years hasn't improved my mood.

Grumpy old sod ??

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but I agree with bobmac. A change of hybrid might lead to a slight improvement … perhaps a shot or two a round, but any significant improvement will need the driver or, at best, a 3W to be working on longer holes. Added to which, Benross make good clubs for mid/high handicappers and new players, so the scope for “hybrid only” improvement would seem to be minimal. Just my three ha’pence worth. Sorry if that is not what the OP wants to hear.

Neeko1988

Visit site
Sorry, but I agree with bobmac. A change of hybrid might lead to a slight improvement … perhaps a shot or two a round, but any significant improvement will need the driver or, at best, a 3W to be working on longer holes. Added to which, Benross make good clubs for mid/high handicappers and new players, so the scope for “hybrid only” improvement would seem to be minimal. Just my three ha’pence worth. Sorry if that is not what the OP wants to hear.

I agree, as per the post I wrote. ?