Hybrid V's Iron

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon off the tee, my 19deg hybrid goes about 25/30 yards longer than my 20deg 4 iron. (total distance, carry and roll)

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I had my distances measured on a range with a Trackman, I think my 4 iron was about 190, and my hybrid was about 200 yards. Those were for decent struck shots. Of the poorly struck shots, the hybrid still went a fair way, but the iron was a lot worse!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My hybrids go 5-10yds further (carry) than the irons of the same loft. I'm not sure if the shafts are longer though, I'd guess they were.

If you can live with the higher flight they're so much easier to hit imo.

D

Deleted member 17920

Hybrid about 10 yards further, More forgiving club for most golfers

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Hybrid about 5-10 but that's saying I flush the iron out of the middle. If I had to make a carry I would always choose hybrid over the iron unless I wanted to see a splash.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive recently dropped my 9 degree hybrid for a 2 iron. they go about the same distance all in. the hybrid has a much higher flight but I can be as wild as anything with it. the 2 iron is much more accurate. I just hit a nice wee cut with it. it tends to behave itself a lot more!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
ive recently dropped my 9 degree hybrid for a 2 iron. they go about the same distance all in. the hybrid has a much higher flight but I can be as wild as anything with it. the 2 iron is much more accurate. I just hit a nice wee cut with it. it tends to behave itself a lot more!

I always thought you hit your hybrid miles mate . . . .now I know why :) :) :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I always thought you hit your hybrid miles mate . . . .now I know why :) :) :)

haha well spotted. 19 degree :eek:

just bought a nike 4 wood today. not that I need it. its just to try out and also provide some competition at the long end of the bag. I don't want the rest of them getting complacent. ;)

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 21 degree hydrid carries 215-220 as does 4I but with different trajectories and so can do different things such as use hybrid from modest lie in semi rough on par 5. I felt that 210+ shot needed two different tools. The 19 degree wood carries 235 and my 5I around 205.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Absolutely sir - why I have all but ditched my hybrid for a 3i or 4i other than light rough occasions when the hnybrid is handy. Much more consistent with the longer irons than with the hybrid with which I have little feel or control over. Donl;t have a 2i though.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am still experimenting, I carry a 3 iron replacement anyway. But at the moment I have the 4 hybrid in the bag as well. I think the 4i is a little longer, but the hybrid offers consistency and an option out of the light rough ( more severe than tour rough!). But we'll see its not a forgone conclusion..yet.

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
I have really tried to get on with the hybrids and the battle continues. In truth, I probably hit my 3 iron and 3 hybrid about the same distance off the ground but off the tee I will be longer with 3 iron. Recently got an 18 degree callaway XHP and hoping to get along better than the present heavenwood 19 degree.