Hybrid Fitting

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m looking to book a hybrid/wood fitting for early May and currently just lost on what to expect and what I should be achieving.

My longest iron is my 170 yard club so I think I would like clubs for 180 and 190 yards? I think at least one needs to be a hybrid.

I would like a 200 yard fairway finder, I am unsure if I need a 3rd club for this job. The driver is 230 yards plus but only comes out on spacious open holes, I would like something I can whip out on even tight tree lined holes.

Will this make sense to a fitter? Should I be looking at two clubs or three?

I must say I don’t really have a budget in mind, might need to pay in instalments! The heads I buy don’t matter too much to me, happy to go cheap if it does the job, I just need the fitting decide what lofts I need.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A seven wood might be better depending how far you hit it.
Then four wood also depending on distance you hit it.
Just tell the fitter what you want and why , that’s his job.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I go 4w, 7w or 19/20° hybrid, 23/24 hybrid and then irons.
Important to remember that hybrids tend to go further than their corresponding iron number

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I go 4w, 7w or 19/20° hybrid, 23/24 hybrid and then irons.
Important to remember that hybrids tend to go further than their corresponding iron number

I think it very much depends on the make and how you hit it. When I first went o a rescue I had TM irons so went TM rescues I found no difference.
However it is now so long that I had an iron longer than 5 in the bag it would be hard to compare.

Similar to you I was trialling (before the last lock down) dropping one of my 3 rescues in favour of a 5 wood and I often think about putting the 7 wood back in the bag.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the help, got a good idea now of what to say.

Just got to pay a few people for some work on the house then booking a fitting.

4LEX

Visit site
Whats your longest iron? 3 or 4? From your driving distance a 3 Wood would probably be around 205ish, so a 4 wood could be ideal. A hybrid or two could then fill the rest of the gapping.

If you can find a fairway finder at 200 yards you're in business. That club will be useful on long par 3's and into long par 4's for you too (y)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whats your longest iron? 3 or 4? From your driving distance a 3 Wood would probably be around 205ish, so a 4 wood could be ideal. A hybrid or two could then fill the rest of the gapping.

If you can find a fairway finder at 200 yards you're in business.

Longest is a 4 iron which I wouldn't trust to carry anything over 160, I think it is 170 with roll. Not sure about the 3 wood but if I had to guess its about 200 yards, just not really a fairway finder...

I wish I played more golf and get these distances up but I just have to live with them for the 5-8 times a year I play.

4LEX

Visit site
Totally get that, golf is a tough sport too play a handful of times a year!

If you want a fairway finder off the tee, why not look at the TaylorMade Mini driver from a few years ago? Or a 12 degree driver with short shaft?

A hybrid or two and a fairway you can hit would add a lot to your game. With your driver distance you will be taking a lot of yardage into medium to long par 4's and par 5's.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally get that, golf is a tough sport too play a handful of times a year!

If you want a fairway finder off the tee, why not look at the TaylorMade Mini driver from a few years ago? Or a 12 degree driver with short shaft?

A hybrid or two and a fairway you can hit would add a lot to your game. With your driver distance you will be taking a lot of yardage into medium to long par 4's and par 5's.

I might ask them about reshafting my 3 wood then.

4LEX

Visit site
Not sure I'd want a shorter shaft in the 3 wood though. The driver has a bigger head, hence maybe higher loft and shorter shaft combo could be a game changer in that. A 3 wood with shorter shaft would be easier to hit but you'd lose distance. A 4 wood will have more loft and shorter shaft anyway.