Huge challenge

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think I read once that Sandy Lyle took 2 years to get down to scratch after taking the game up. If you think you can do it in 18 months, good luck to you! :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome Cookie, and good luck with your challenge.

If you only come on here once a week though be warned you will have about 1500 new posts to sift through if you want to read it all

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Blimey a Ledbury man from New Zealand.....did you used to live in this area then? It's actually 5 mins outside Ledbury on the Hereford road, in Pixley. They built a new spa / gym / restaurant.....the 18 hole championship course is opening in the spring. It really is a blessing - particularly as I struck a deal to get free unlimited range balls in the pice of £50 per month.....I hit 1,000 up there on Thursday and I am not sure they felt it was in the spirit of the deal.....

Check it out - it's called Alexander Park - you can google it with Pixley in the search.

You ever come back over this way?

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
I think the biggest thing in your way will be the number of comps you have to play in, dose your course have a couple a week? Best of luck.
Mike

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks Mike - it has two per week.

I think that a sensible revision to this goal, after all of he advice I have seen, is to play to scratch over an average of 5 cards.....or something like that. It means it takes away a little of the pressure on comps and amounts of rounds, but allows me to practise more and also to not have that overwhelming pressure when things might go a bit wrong during the first year.

Then, after I get this first target I could then set another one year to play more comps and get the official HC down.

I was also wondering what happens to your HC if you get down to a standard of playing regular rounds under 80, and you go back and say to the committee that you would like to revise your HC as you are definitely not playing at the old HC, purely to speed the process up...

D

Deleted member 1147

The handicap committee can I believe revise a handicap on general play. I don't know if you can request it or if they do it off their own bat.

My personal advice would be to ignore time targets. Just try to get low as soon as possible by playing good, sensible golf & enjoy it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok to get a revision by theclub for your h'cap until you hit cat1 then you can only get a revision by the county union.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can get cut on general play but only if you inform the "club" (handicap sec, cleaner etc etc) before you start and submit your card afterwards.

Oh and as for blogs, have your eyes ever glazed over as someone proceeds to go through every single shot on every hole in the bar afterwards?

A blog is the internet version. ;)

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
There is no such thing as a general play reduction - I think by general play you are referring to the supplementary card system. If that is the case then you are limited to 10 per year and if you use this bear in mind it is treated like a comp and you can get the 0.1 increase as well as reductions.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
Good luck with this mate. I don't think its anywhere near possible but I will definitely be rooting for you and would enjoy it if you proved me wrong. Will definitely check out your blog if you do one.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You'd be about the 20th person on here that's said they're going to try and get to scratch.... it's hard!

Quickest way is to scrap your current h/cap, practice for an entire year (or more) then come back and put in 3 cards... hoping that you shoot 68,69,67 :)

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have practised for the last 2-3 weeks heavily and just had my first nine hole session with the pro to see where things are going at the moment....just going to write an update on this forum. I don't want to sound like everyone should be interested, but I am happy with how things went and a few people have actually said it would be good if I could keep everyone updated from here on in, just to see what happens, so I will......

I am going to practise for another month and then hand in a couple of cards and I am pretty sure that the committee will review my handicap. In line with the link sent out earlier my pro has told the committee of how much work I am doing and how much I am improving, and he said they usually put a review in on players like that. We shall see what happens.....

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I took up golf seriously last march, within 6 months I was down to 15, within a year I was 14 and shooting low 80s frequently.

It is possible but its hard work, I have had one lesson every 5-6 weeks and done about 10 hours practice a week and an 18 or two at weekends.

I would say the most important practice is the extra stuff you do at home, 5 mins of this or 10 mins to that really adds without the effort of driving to the course/range!

I also recommend putting lots and lots and lots and lots! I got a good swing pretty quickly but I did not score well until I started holing out and rolling up long putts well.

My last bit of advice, do not be afraid to go backwards! I have recently been making a big error in my swing but working through it is helping me get even better as I understand the downswing and follow through so much better now!

I hope, like you to meet my goal, making single figures within three years of taking up the game, just 3 more shots a round to chop off to make this years target of 11... its going to be a long summer!

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks ScienceBoy - that post is really appreciated. Sounds like you are spending loads of time practising too and are as interested in getting it right as I am. I really found the Pete Cowen 'Pyramid' DVD useful for explaining downswing pressure, hand action not hand manipulation in the release, as well as fundamental rotation and set up principles.

the putting advice is very useful and I have started to get that impression already. I have to say it is already looking like my biggest weakness, so I want to put in a lot of time and hopefully turn it into my biggest strength.

Good luck with your challenge, it sounds like you are working hard as well so hopefully we will both make it. The weather is only helping with the golf isn't it.....

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The weather is only helping with the golf isn't it.....

Yup! I spent most of this evening holing 5 footers! I couldn't miss for a period of about 15 mins, dropping 5 around the hole from 5-10 feet and knocking all but about 4 or 5 in!

The best drill for putting is a 5p on your living room carpet, about 7 feet away and trying to roll putts just onto it and stop about 2 feet past. An alternative is to put the 5p at 3 feet and roll them long or short over it.

Both drills get you putting on plane really well, my record is 5 in a row "clicking" from 10 feet! Its really nice sound when they roll over it!

Cookie

Medal Winner
Visit site
That's a great tip - I am seriously unfortunate that I have wooden floors through the house - do you know any good putting matts I could start with? I guess I can have a look for myself but just interested in case anyone has any suggestions.....

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a great tip - I am seriously unfortunate that I have wooden floors through the house - do you know any good putting matts I could start with? I guess I can have a look for myself but just interested in case anyone has any suggestions.....

Lucky you mean! I have a dustmite allergy and wish I could have wooden floors throughout!

It works on any carpet... doesnt have to be the living room, mine breaks 2 feet towards the TV btw :D