How young is too young...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Drake_teacher

Visit site
My grand daughter, God bless her, has seen my clubs at home and is curious about the game. She is four (just) and has announced she wants to play. Is it ridiculous for her to start so young? Advice please...
TIA Peter

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
My grand daughter, God bless her, has seen my clubs at home and is curious about the game. She is four (just) and has announced she wants to play. Is it ridiculous for her to start so young? Advice please...
TIA Peter

Hi Peter,

4 is plenty old enough just make sure the clubs are specially design for a young child (light weight & not too long).

I have 2 sons who both play they are 4 (soon to be 5) & 7, they both love playing but keeping it fun is the main thing. I take them to the driving range where they can see how far they hit it & they love trying to beat their best drives (they're currently at 77 & 105 yards), they also love playing a few holes on the course when it's not too cold. My youngest started hitting balls when he was 3 & he's a natural, I would sit on the floor & just put ball after ball on the tee for him & 90% of them would be straight & a decent distance for a little boy. They ask me if we can play golf every week & I never push it upon them.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started my young lad around 4.5 in our back garden and then moved to my club's driving range as his granddad bought him a junior 7 iron. He loves it and now my dad has added a junior driver, PW & SW as well as buying him a little stand bag. I try and take him every Saturday for a few buckets and he stands there and tries to smash the cover off it! He's only 5 and he gets annoyed already with how hard golf is - not a good sign for the future :ROFLMAO:

I think me practising a few of my dodgy swings in the back garden perked up his interest.

Wish I could post a video (proud dad moment) as he hits some of them reasonably well with his driver off the tee at the range!

Peter_Drake_teacher

Visit site
Hi Peter,

4 is plenty old enough just make sure the clubs are specially design for a young child (light weight & not too long).

I have 2 sons who both play they are 4 (soon to be 5) & 7, they both love playing but keeping it fun is the main thing. I take them to the driving range where they can see how far they hit it & they love trying to beat their best drives (they're currently at 77 & 105 yards), they also love playing a few holes on the course when it's not too cold. My youngest started hitting balls when he was 3 & he's a natural, I would sit on the floor & just put ball after ball on the tee for him & 90% of them would be straight & a decent distance for a little boy. They ask me if we can play golf every week & I never push it upon them.
Wow - brilliant! They sound amazing
Thanks so much for your reply - greatly appreciated
Peter

Peter_Drake_teacher

Visit site
I started my young lad around 4.5 in our back garden and then moved to my club's driving range as his granddad bought him a junior 7 iron. He loves it and now my dad has added a junior driver, PW & SW as well as buying him a little stand bag. I try and take him every Saturday for a few buckets and he stands there and tries to smash the cover off it! He's only 5 and he gets annoyed already with how hard golf is - not a good sign for the future :ROFLMAO:

I think me practising a few of my dodgy swings in the back garden perked up his interest.

Wish I could post a video (proud dad moment) as he hits some of them reasonably well with his driver off the tee at the range!
Brilliant - many thanks!
PEter Drake

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
PGFP07495 - Tri-Golf Home Kit - Right-Handed | Davies Sports

If you have space, you may want to look a this kit. It is the golf stuff our assistant pro uses to start early years coaching so bigger balls, club heads, plastic so easier to swing then different games with flags, discs and cones to hit to or over etc.

Downside is you can't just take clubs up the driving range to hit balls with them

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Grandson had his first roll up/ group lesson when he was 3/4 Years old. He was the smallest by a couple of years. The pro put two leaves down where his feet should be. He put a range ball bucket about 15 yards away. His first swing. He hit the ball and slam dunked it straight in the middle of the bucket. There were about six of us watching and we were cheering like the clappers. He never got anywhere near it after that. Happy days. Unfortunately due to other factors he has not swung a club for a couple of years.
take her to the range Pete, happy bonding times ahead me thinks.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My daughter is 2.5 and she has shown interest in golf since she watched her older cousins play pitch and putt last summer. At the time she just walked the couse and dropped her ball into each hole to feel.part of the game.

I bought her a plastic set of clubs / balls for her to have fun without risking her causing any damage. The key so far has been just to let her have fun with them, even if she's not able to swing the club properly.

I know she's a bit controversial here to some, but I think Paige Spiranac recently made a good video with her niece about how to teach kids golf. I found her advice really helpful.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just make sure your club lets them play so young.
My young son ( years ago was asked to leave the putting green) by the secretary as some member complained.
He was four .
This has changed for the better now.
But if she can hit the ball and enjoyed it then she’s old enough.
Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.