How would I go about finding a newbie playing partner?

Lounge Fly

Visit site
Hey all

I've very recently taken up playing golf, about a month ago to be exact, so I'm pretty bad at this stage. I'm hitting the range as often as I can and I've even gone to play 9 holes at my nearest course (Aylesbury Vale) for the last couple of weekends. My first attempt took me 55 shots/hacks, today 49 which included my first par (which really should have been a birdie - my tee shot on a par 3 wound up 3 feet from the hole and I somehow missed my birdie putt!) and I'm really enjoying it, but I can't help but feel it might be really beneficial to find someone also starting their golfing journey. Is my best bet membership at a club or is there likely to be someone lurking around these forums who might be interested?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe pop a post in the Arrange a Game section of this forum, or ask in the Pro shop to see if they know or can put you in touch with some other players. Are you having lessons? A lot of pros do group lessons for beginners, which is a good way of meeting other beginners

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi and welcome

Used to be a member at Aylesbury Vale, its a very friendly club, you will easily find people to play with if you joined there (or all standards), they have a members facebook group where people are arranging games all the time as well various roll ups etc

Can point you in the direction of who to speak to etc if wanted

Lounge Fly

Visit site
Hi and welcome

Used to be a member at Aylesbury Vale, its a very friendly club, you will easily find people to play with if you joined there (or all standards), they have a members facebook group where people are arranging games all the time as well various roll ups etc

Can point you in the direction of who to speak to etc if wanted

That would be much appreciated sir! I was thinking of getting a membership there, the course itself seems like it would be a good start for me, so to know I'd easily able to find someone to play with is great.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing with a beginner can be good for competition, but I think you may get more playing with people of all ability. Their experience helps on rules (not always), etiquette etc. but there is also a common train of thought you improve by playing with better people as you see how they manage their game and shots, and pick up pointers on issues you may have.

Don’t just feel like you need to play with a fellow newbie as most people won’t mind playing with beginners.

Lounge Fly

Visit site
Playing with a beginner can be good for competition, but I think you may get more playing with people of all ability. Their experience helps on rules (not always), etiquette etc. but there is also a common train of thought you improve by playing with better people as you see how they manage their game and shots, and pick up pointers on issues you may have.

Don’t just feel like you need to play with a fellow newbie as most people won’t mind playing with beginners.

Thanks for that, it’s good to know. I’d always assumed that a better player wouldn’t particularly want to be slowed down by someone zig zagging their way round a course!

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
You could look at a site thesocialgolfer.com , if your not ready or keen to become a member of a course , i use it in the Essex area and can always get a game , met some lovely people , very wellcoming , i have looked and there are members in your area , it can be a great way to get started in golf and meet new people , i think its about £30 per year to join , then you just pay green fees for any games .