How well do you play in practice vs competition

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had two rounds recently where I've just been practising, and each time I've played significantly better than my handicap (10 under h/c and today 14 under h/c). Now I expect to play better when I'm relaxed and not under any pressure but it feels a pretty big gap.

How much better do you find that you play when you're just practising / how long did it take for your competitive performance to catch up with your best play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had two rounds recently where I've just been practising, and each time I've played significantly better than my handicap (10 under h/c and today 14 under h/c). Now I expect to play better when I'm relaxed and not under any pressure but it feels a pretty big gap.

How much better do you find that you play when you're just practising / how long did it take for your competitive performance to catch up with your best play.

It's a tricky question. Performance in competitions is much harder due to a number of things, especially expectation and that can be heightened if you are playing well in practice. Try the Practice Manual by Adam Young. Very informative and may help

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The mental side of the game. When just out having a knock you don't think about the next hole or even how well you're playing you just trot on, put a card in your hand then it becomes between the ears.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty much always better with a card in hand.

I will grind a score out and play much safer and smarter.

Practice rounds and games with mates i will just point and shoot at flags which usually means i am loose. More doubles than birdies as i am not that good. Lol

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I thought practice is cheating?
Gotta turn up 10 mins before tee time at most to have time to run in and pay then sprinting to the 1st tee, 1 waggle and Boooom, hook it down the left.

D

Deleted member 23344

I always play worse in competition ... no doubt due to the weight of expectation and playing with guys I don’t know. I know that it’s all in the mind and I really must read up on how I might deal with it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bigger the competition, or important the match, the better I play.

Can't be arsed to concentrate for hours on end when it doesn't matter; in fact I extremely rarely play a single ball with any seriousness on the course. Can't remember the last 'social game' wherenthere was any concept of having a score to compare in this context.

I will go out on the course to work on an aspect, but again there's no concept of a score to compare as a result.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Unfortunately, I play my very best golf when no one is watching. When I go out for a quiet nine holes after work, I play much better than I do when I play in a comp or even just in a social round. I just find it easier to take my time and concentrate on every shot when I am on my own.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately, I play my very best golf when no one is watching. When I go out for a quiet nine holes after work, I play much better than I do when I play in a comp or even just in a social round. I just find it easier to take my time and concentrate on every shot when I am on my own.

Is that you in the picture at the top of your swing? very G-Mac of you. :thup:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Is that you in the picture at the top of your swing? very G-Mac of you. :thup:

It is, but the picture is a few years old now. I don't bow my wrist quite as much anymore (it was great for power, but difficult to control). Actually, the pic is a grabbed frame from a short instagram video Peter Finch took during my first ever playing lesson. I remember, because it was pretty much the only good shot I hit all day (and it took me about 2 years to catch another fairway wood that well) and I got a lot of likes and nice comments on that video at the time.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a more serious game today, although it was social... performance did not translate! couldn't hit my driver, and was putting for 3 more than 2, very painful. I might well actually grab that book haha.

Interesting mentioning the lesson issues, I haven't been able to recreate any of my problem shots with my pro, i've actually considering recording my tee shots so I have some material for the next lesson!

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I often play better in comps, as I concentrate a little more over the ball/on each shot.

When im just having a practice round I do exactly that, try new things, test different shots, so the score is 2nd priority in my mind.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I play enough competitions to really compare. I've been cut a couple of times from competitions, buffered a few times last year as well, and got 0.1's a lot more times. Had some great rounds and poor ones in friendlies too. The ratio is probably about the same.

Actually, I have recorded all my scores at my home course so I can work it out... This is for the last 12 months (June 2017 to now) for my home course only.

Competition Rounds
no of rounds: 15
average gross: 97.06

Non-Comp Rounds
no of rounds: 10
average gross: 91.1

Ok it turns out I'm much worse in comps, haha. They would be off the white tees though, and non-comps I play off the yellows so that makes a bit of a difference.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm definitely better in competitions. I don't have the patience or attention span to really concentrate for 3.5 hours on a bounce game so it's inevitable that some experimentation starts to happen as the round goes on.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I often play better in comps because I usually have a better attitude and there is reason to stay focussed to the end.

For example, if I start a bounce/practice game with a few bad holes, I might write off the score and stop caring. If that happens in a comp, I'm immediately thinking how I can pull it back and trying hard to score well.

Not a universal rule, but a few PPs have commented that I've played much better during the comps.