How to win a competition without putting!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I feel obliged to post this morning after my work society event yesterday. Driving to the course I said to myself 'with this wind, it'll be the short game that decides it today, you need to be switched on in that area'.

Given that my last two rounds (admittedly in much nicer conditions in Bahrain!) had 30 and 32 putts respectively, I was feeling pretty confident. This soon vanished. Tee to green, lovely stuff. Short game and putting, the phrase 'Krusty the Clown after a week-long bender and handcuffed' would be most apposite.

By the end, I had managed to accrue 43 putts. That's right, 43. And I won. :D

I ended up shooting 92 overall (15hc, par 71, +6) which given the conditions probably added 2-3 to the hc, doesn't seem too bad. Realising what score I could have shot had I known which end of the putter to use... :eek:

Just thought I'd let people know that if you keep believing, dig in and never give up, you can still win. I started 7,7,5,6 (par 4,4,4,3) but convinced myself I could still pick up points somewhere.

Anyway, it all made me happy, so I thought I'd share!

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to win the occasional office outing. But then with the sort of numpties who turn up for these, anyone could and did.
:p :p
That was 30 years ago and after a layoff of 25 years, I qualify as one of the numpties.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
43 putts! You and Michael Owen need to have a chat about hitting the target.
It's not that bad......known worse.....you deserved to win on the rest of your game.....clearly.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I blame it all on having to putt on grass! Honestly, I read them quite well, but could I buggery get used to the pace after playing on those gorgeous smooth 'browns' in the desert.

I think John_Findlay sold me a cursed putter so it's probably his fault.

Can anyone beat 43 putts in a single round? And I mean higher than, not lower! It's certainly my all-time worst.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must have averaged at least 45 a round in the early days.
Always under 36 nowadays, nearer 32/33, at a guess.

Things might be interesting when I go back to my summer putter soon, for this winter (and the first ever) I've been using one of two heavy mallets....it's been good, but they are bound to be overkill on fast summer greens.