How to watch Mickelson/woods

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just don't see what this has to offer....
Ten or more years ago it may have been relevent but not now.
The whole thing is just getting more cringe worthy by the hour...
And the fact that it seems no UK broadcaster has seen fit to pick it up shows that the UK TV executives seem to agree.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I think this is an obscene amount of money to be playing for. If both players put up a couple of million each with winner takes all that's fine especially as the Ladies tour event in Spain this week has a $300k prize fund.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's just me but I think this is an obscene amount of money to be playing for. If both players put up a couple of million each with winner takes all that's fine especially as the Ladies tour event in Spain this week has a $300k prize fund.

I don't really disagree with that but if they didn't do it, or only played for a smaller prize... it doesn't fix the problems of the LET or the expenses or barriers to entry for golf in general. .

At the end of the day, golf is about entertainment and if they can make a new format or a matchplay event entertaining, then people will be interested in it.

Who knows, this could be the start of a thing and we could hopefully see more matchplay events taking place.

Ultimately increased interest is good for the game - albeit it's tough to say that it will trickle down to the lower levels.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

The way its shaping up their respective charities will each get more than 300k out of this (I don't know if that makes the scale of money involved compared to LET better or worse)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The latest no laying up podcast debates all this, and has brief interviews with both players also. It is an interesting listen, and discusses the various angles on it.

D

Deleted member 15344

The way its shaping up their respective charities will each get more than 300k out of this (I don't know if that makes the scale of money involved compared to LET better or worse)

Shame about the $9mil isn’t also going to charity - it’s cringe worthy and grotesque.

Eddie Pepperall has is spot on

Coming away from my Twitter ban just to take Georgie’s point further and conclude that this is indeed everything golf shouldn’t be doing right now. One man earning $9 Million isn’t attractive. This putrid attempt at attention will turn out to be futile for everyone. Pathetic.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...acts-grotesque-woods-mickelson-picture-169292

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
The latest no laying up podcast debates all this, and has brief interviews with both players also. It is an interesting listen, and discusses the various angles on it.

Yes very good and spells out why they wouldn’t have been able to do it out of their own pockets

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No sure who I want to win this one TBH but l am sure it will be a great game No matter the score, 2 of the games greats go head to head 👍

Wolf

Visit site
Been talking about this today with Mrs Wolf who has no golfing interest, and she had an intresting idea that would perhaps make this match at least make sense..

Instead of being Tiger v Gambling addict Big Phil, her idea was why don't they simply have the winner of ET money list(race to dubai) v US Tour FedEx champ so in essence we get Molinari v Rose.. Then they play 18holes match play representing each tour as a sort of tour champions playoff..

Still for me wouldn't be a great watch but at least it would be representing the tours instead of representing gambling.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Shame about the $9mil isn’t also going to charity - it’s cringe worthy and grotesque.

Coming away from my Twitter ban just to take Georgie’s point further and conclude that this is indeed everything golf shouldn’t be doing right now. One man earning $9 Million isn’t attractive. This putrid attempt at attention will turn out to be futile for everyone. Pathetic.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...acts-grotesque-woods-mickelson-picture-169292

The prize money is certainly something way beyond my comprehension, neither need it so its not really about the money for them, the money is for the public to get interested in the pay per view event & at about 3% of what Mayweather got its less than peanuts in comparison (at least these two compete in the same sport)

Still a couple of charities will benefit handsomely and i'm not sure yet who's actually being hurt, left out or losing anything because of the match.

Cant suggest golf is losing out after Rose picked up the same amount of cash a few weeks back and no one seemed fussed then (it matters not that it was contested over a longer period, Rose still earned prize money all through the season too so his $9m was just an 'extra' prize)

The picture doesn't do them any favours though (neither did Mayweathers doing the same thing) but at least they're not setting fire to it and who knows we may be in for a big surprise if the winner turned round and gave a chunk to even more charities so I wont judge them on it yet?

Wolf

Visit site

The only thing I can say about that image is at least Tiger is just sitting there smiling, whereas Phil just looks a knob

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only thing I can say about that image is at least Tiger is just sitting there smiling, whereas Phil just looks a knob

Tiger's smiling because this amount of money is nothing new to him, small change.

The bantz the other day was embarrassing. It was like when you were a teenager and your mates come round and your dad tries to be cool with them!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Have they not had the match yet? All you need is for one of them to have an off day and it'll be as entertaining as a wet day in Morecambe.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
mickelson offering $100k that he birdies the first was cringe worthy.

The only decent part is that all side bets are for charity, think it went up to $200k.

The 9 million dollar purse though is at the winners "discretion" with both Phil & Tiger saying a "proportion" of it will go to charity. Really is a disgusting amount of money.

If both players came out and said they would donate X, Y, & Z to these charities I'd be more than happy to watch it, even potentially pay a small fee. As it is I have zero interest.