How to shallow the downswing for a serial steep player

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would appreciate some help from people who have managed to do it.

I watch videos of myself and can't believe how steep I swing on the downswing.

It starts to explain why my shots get worse the less loft is on a club, and why I have so much trouble off the tee.

I have recently been down to 11 handicap, but feel to get down to single figures now I need to shallow the club head coming into impact.

Every pro you see has a move to do it, and I just can't work it out. Had lessons and a lot has been on the backswing and my tempo, would love any pointers from people who have managed to do it themselves.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You are not steep. (on that swing anyway.)
However, your clubface is closed at the top of your backswing and open through impact.
Would you consider your grip neutral or a bit strong?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You are not steep. (on that swing anyway.)
However, your clubface is closed at the top of your backswing and open through impact.
Would you consider your grip neutral or a bit strong?

I consider my grip to be neutral.
What am I doing that is causing my clubface to change like this?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looks to me like an off center hit. Possibly toe strike. The face is deflecting like mad after impact.

Yes all my videos my club face is doing that after impact. I didn't realise but looks like i am toe striking all my shots without realizing.

This might explain some of the hook spin i am putting on shots?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I consider my grip to be neutral.
What am I doing that is causing my clubface to change like this?

If your grip was strong, there's a good chance your clubface would point at the sky at the top of your backswing which it does.
If you continue with a normal 'release' the ball would go left so your subconscious takes over and you hold the face open through impact.
You may also have a strong right hand and a weak left hand (less likely)
One thing is sure (from your video)....your swing plane is not the problem here, it's the clubface and that is controlled by the hands

D

Deleted member 21258

Hopefully you don't mind me saying, but you have a great looking swing, hard to imagine you aren't single figure golfer already on your good days, when timing is good.

Do you have parts of your game that is letting you down, that stops you being single figures (ie. are some parts of your game just not upto the standard and that costs you a number of shoots a round, when they should not, so poor chipping and not getting up/down or lots of 3 putting)?

Either way best of luck with your quest to single figures.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your grip was strong, there's a good chance your clubface would point at the sky at the top of your backswing which it does.
If you continue with a normal 'release' the ball would go left so your subconscious takes over and you hold the face open through impact.
You may also have a strong right hand and a weak left hand (less likely)
One thing is sure (from your video)....your swing plane is not the problem here, it's the clubface and that is controlled by the hands
Ok very interesting to hear, will research this further now, i find it so hard to analyse my own swing as what i feel is happening is so different to seeing it back in slow mo. Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully you don't mind me saying, but you have a great looking swing, hard to imagine you aren't single figure golfer already on your good days, when timing is good.

Do you have parts of your game that is letting you down, that stops you being single figures (ie. are some parts of your game just not upto the standard and that costs you a number of shoots a round, when they should not, so poor chipping and not getting up/down or lots of 3 putting)?

Either way best of luck with your quest to single figures.

Thanks appreciate it put a lot of work in and been hitting the ball great recently. I mainly struggle off the tee, massive hooks from nowhere with my driver and 3 wood, especially when scoring well and under pressure in a medal round.

Been in some really good situations multiple shots better than my handicap and thrown it away this season. My tempo speeds up which causes an overswing and then my club face is just wild through impact.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a similar prob recently and it was my grip .
Neutral left hand and strong right.
I bought a Skilz grip trainer it’s like a training grip but it clips on your own clubs.
I could not belive how strong my right hand was and since I have sorted it my game has improved a lot.
Before I could hit it left or right with a hook off the tee as my right hand took over .
Now I am more down the middle with a slight draw.
Good luck but your swing looks ok to me so try this.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob is bang on. I know because this is my flaw and I’m working hard and getting a lot of lessons to sort it.

Top of backswing the face is pointing to the camera and it needs to point more at the back of your head or the toe pointing down the range.

For me, it’s a lot of practice and lessons since Xmas. I’ve now got a one piece takeaway and concentrate on getting the club UP with the shaft intersecting my bicep, not my hip on the way back. Overswinging is another huge flaw of mine where I over-rotate and force the club to be closed at the top. This has taken a lot of work and I’ve still not nailed it.

Mark Crossfield bangs on about how the backswing isn’t important but it has a huge amount to answer for.

@bobmac can I PM you with a pic of my grip please? In all the work I’ve done, I’ve not really checked this....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob is bang on. I know because this is my flaw and I’m working hard and getting a lot of lessons to sort it.

Top of backswing the face is pointing to the camera and it needs to point more at the back of your head or the toe pointing down the range.

For me, it’s a lot of practice and lessons since Xmas. I’ve now got a one piece takeaway and concentrate on getting the club UP with the shaft intersecting my bicep, not my hip on the way back. Overswinging is another huge flaw of mine where I over-rotate and force the club to be closed at the top. This has taken a lot of work and I’ve still not nailed it.

Mark Crossfield bangs on about how the backswing isn’t important but it has a huge amount to answer for.

@bobmac can I PM you with a pic of my grip please? In all the work I’ve done, I’ve not really checked this....

Of course