How to not get a handicap increase

Siolag

Visit site
The obvious answer is 'practice and play well' which i am trying to do.

But what I mean is, what score do i need off a handicap of 32? both recent medals have been CSS 71, so add 32 to that is 103. I am Category 3 at my club, so giving me a buffer of 3 shots, for a gross score of 106? IS this right? I am not far off that having done 115, and I think I will get down to that type of score by the September medal.

A supplementary question is, if every hole is adjusted to a net double bogey for handicap. how is a 54 possible?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
A supplementary question is, if every hole is adjusted to a net double bogey for handicap. how is a 54 possible?

Not sure what you mean?

54 effectively means you get 3 shots per hole - 4 would be a bogey and 5 over par would be a double bogey.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
But for an initial allocation, surely the calculation is off scratch?

An initial handicap is based as far as I know off the best of three cards submitted - are you questioning that someone can play that badly they would not get allocated a 54 handicap?

Siolag

Visit site
An initial handicap is based as far as I know off the best of three cards submitted - are you questioning that someone can play that badly they would not get allocated a 54 handicap?

54 is 3 shots a hole, if high scores are adjusted to a net double bogey, you'd be 2 over par for each hole. Therefore even with a round of 200, the adjusted score would be 36 over.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
54 is 3 shots a hole, if high scores are adjusted to a net double bogey, you'd be 2 over par for each hole. Therefore even with a round of 200, the adjusted score would be 36 over.

I'm not sure you understand the nett double bogey - nett means including the handicap - gross bogey would be without.

Hope that helps.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The obvious answer is 'practice and play well' which i am trying to do.

But what I mean is, what score do i need off a handicap of 32? both recent medals have been CSS 71, so add 32 to that is 103. I am Category 3 at my club, so giving me a buffer of 3 shots, for a gross score of 106? IS this right? I am not far off that having done 115, and I think I will get down to that type of score by the September medal.

Handicap 32 is Category 5. That means for a CSS of 71 you would be in buffer at 71 + 32 + 5 = 108, assuming no Stableford Adjustment (a very high score on any hole is reduced to a score of 1 more than the score which would scored 1 Stableford point). So anything higher than 108 means an increase of 0.1 on handicap and anything below 103 (after Stableford Adjustment) means a handicap reduction of 0.5 for every stroke below the CSS.

For initial handicap allocation on all 3 cards submitted, any high score is reduced to double par and the best adjusted card is used for the application of the formula. So, in theory, you could score 144 on a par 72 - that would be a definite 54 handicap.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Handicap 32 is Category 5. That means for a CSS of 71 you would be in buffer at 71 + 32 + 5 = 108, assuming no Stableford Adjustment (a very high score on any hole is reduced to a score of 1 more than the score which would scored 1 Stableford point). So anything higher than 108 means an increase of 0.1 on handicap and anything below 103 (after Stableford Adjustment) means a handicap reduction of 0.5 for every stroke below the CSS.

For initial handicap allocation on all 3 cards submitted, any high score is reduced to double par and the best adjusted card is used for the application of the formula. So, in theory, you could score 144 on a par 72 - that would be a definite 54 handicap.

In which case how can a handicap of anything above 36 be allocated?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In which case how can a handicap of anything above 36 be allocated?
"For initial handicap allocation on all 3 cards submitted, any high score is reduced to double par and the best adjusted card is used for the application of the formula. So, in theory, you could score 144 on a par 72 - that would be a definite 54 handicap."

What is confusing?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think he is asking, given the course information and handicap in the OP, what score will he have to shoot to not go up .1 in a comp.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think he is asking, given the course information and handicap in the OP, what score will he have to shoot to not go up .1 in a comp.
Which is fully and completely answered in the first paragraph of post #7

The second paragraph went on to explain the answer to the last question raised in the OP

Siolag

Visit site
"For initial handicap allocation on all 3 cards submitted, any high score is reduced to double par and the best adjusted card is used for the application of the formula. So, in theory, you could score 144 on a par 72 - that would be a definite 54 handicap."

What is confusing?

That was the bit I didn't know!

Cheers everyone. I feel like I am not far off making my buffer, but its good to know exactly what I need to do.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was the bit I didn't know!

Cheers everyone. I feel like I am not far off making my buffer, but its good to know exactly what I need to do.

The double par only relates to gaining a handicap, once you have a handicap stableford adjustment is used on high scores, ie a large score on one hole is rounded down to a nett double bogey.