How to know what to work on with a pro

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a feeling the answer is going to be the obvious "go and see your pro, they will tell you"....

But I want to get lessons to improve my game. the only issue is that i'm rubbish with identifying what areas I need to work on! And when I went to my last pro, the first thing he said was "what do you want"...

Has anyone got any tips for recording stats or such like that will help me identify where I should be focussing?

Out of my 3 other playing partners, 1 is very much a self teacher, since he played a lot as a child, and the other 2 are putting large amounts of hours at working on their irons, and telling me this is what I should be doing...

I know the obvious answer is to work on everything, but unfortunately I can't afford to sign up for hundreds of lessons, nor the time to work on all the areas of my game at once...

Any advice would be appreciated!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you want to fix a slice or hook?

Do you want to sharpen short game?

Is the problem with putting?

Are you happy with how you drive the ball but disappointed with the second shot?

If you want to focus on one thing then it would help if you identified an area you feel weakest in. If you can't then maybe the answer is going to the pro and stripping right down to the fundamentals.

Useful stats are all the regulars.

Fairways hit and if not where was the miss, Greens in Regulation, If not able to hit GIR then why. Are you short, missing left or right. etc. If you don't hit GIR are you getting on with the next shot? Putts per hole and are the misses short, long, way off target.

Really though have a word with the pro. I know a few that would give let you hit a few and help identify some issues before you start lessons and paying.

Last edited:

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel that last point may be applicable, but there are some days where it goes so well!

I feel proficient at most areas, but when i say proficient, I mean enough to get by, and play to an 18 handicap on a good day...

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You sound very much like me lol. Worst thing is I know what I want to work on but simply don't have enough time at the mo. I have also fallen into a trap where I try to get a lessons while continuing to play competative golf in societies etc. Due to time constraints I usally had a lesson and then try to apply it during a comp round. Big big waste of time and money because as soon as it doesn't work out I simply revert back to what I'm comfortable with and then fail to stick with any changes. I plan to really hammer some lessons after October.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you want to record stats download Scoresaver 2. More info than you can shake a stick at. If you want to book lessons, speak to the pro first. A good pro/pupil relationship is built on trust and it is a two way street. He might give you the once over in lesson one and then you can decide how to progress from there

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers HJS! I will look into that, but i think I might struggle as it looks like it's only for use on computers, and the only one I can use is a work one with no downloads...

What is your experience of getting the first lesson/playing lesson for free? Is it something that pros do? I would understand why they wouldn't, but in my head it would make sense, especially if I'm going to book lessons with them...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is your experience of getting the first lesson/playing lesson for free? Is it something that pros do? I would understand why they wouldn't, but in my head it would make sense, especially if I'm going to book lessons with them...

more common to get the last, or a follow up, at a discount......makes more sense in their heads!

you might get pointers at a group lesson as the most economical approach - but economy doesn't necessarily represent the best value.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
you might get pointers at a group lesson as the most economical approach - but economy doesn't necessarily represent the best value.

Group lessons are great! Yet to attend one and not leave swinging better! If the pro is good at them then I highly recommend, like all things in life I bet it is a skill.