How to get started

harryharris

Visit site
Hello

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but....

I have been considering taking up golf for some time but not sure how to get started and once up to speed how to get a regular game. Now that I am hitting my mid 40s Im looking for a new interest and golf seems a good option, I have never played and though I know a few golfers at work I do not have friends who play.

My main concerns are firstly how to start, do I have to wear the naff trousers and dodgy jumpers, how do I get a game on a regular if slightly casual basis - I would like to play the occasional midweek when I get a day off work rather than religiously every Saturday.

Thanks for your help

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
My suggestion is goto American golf, their pro's often run group lessons for beginners.
This is where they usually have about 8 people all new to golf learning from scratch (They'll even provide the clubs).
This way you can actually play golf with the people you learn with. Secondly once your confident with your golf you can then goto your local golf club, and look for a golf society.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice is slightly different in that I wouldn't go to AG for my lessons. Most driving ranges run beginner clases which are normally 6 or so lessons usually in a group which week by week go through all the swing fundamentals to give you a solid base.

From there, I'd look for a half set or 2nd hand set and a cheap bag etc (American Golf do some pretty good starter set deals to be fair) and then I'd get out as much as possible. Most municiple courses will let new players on but PLEASE remember those behind and let faster players play through. Go out and enjoy yourself and don't worry too much about how many shots you take, but try and focus on swinging as you were shown in the lessons

As an alternative, you can always learn from your local club pro on a one on one basis. Again most will do good deals on a block of lessons. This has the advantage of having their undivided attention and so more time can be spent with you each lesson on fdrills and what you need to be working on. If you do get time, its always worth trying to get to a range to practice until the swing becomes more familiar.

Dodgy jumpers and trousers are optional. Be warned though that once golf gets under your skin there's no going back

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome. Go to your local driving range and suss out the lesson scene. If there isn't one, try the local course.
The reason I suggest the range is not because a club pro won't (or be able) but I reckon there's more chance of group lessons or cheaper starting option.
I went straight in with a club pro and it was costly, and t.b.h. the lesson was done in under 10 minutes for the first few.
Once up and running, a full 1/2 hour is too short!
NB....I'm 99% sure that most club pros would actually offer a mix of stuff to do, not just 10 minutes on grip and then watch me practice.... :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh yes, NICE trousers and bad jumpers are obligatory.

I wouldn't be seen dead without my plaid trousers and pringle knitwear.

NOT :)

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Something like this is obligatory to go to the range or golf club. Everyone will think that your a great golfer, and looking the part is half the battle. Your fellow golfers will admire you obvious golfing talent in the golf club bar, and no-one will question your wisdom on all matters golf.

vintage_golfer_outfit.jpg

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum and to golf.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
there ought to be a warning at the head of the forum, 'all ye that enter here, abandon the rest of your life'

the clothes - most clubs will have rules about dress, most muni's won't - don't assume they are all the same, and some are more strict than others. safest is chinos, no leg pockets and polo shirts - tucked in. golf shoes are a must, the average course is 6000+, as a beginner and for some time you'll be walking further, cheap shoes will probably not be a good idea.

lessons you've been told about, take the pro's advice about clubs

playing midweek you'll run into seniors most often. don't disparage them, some of them are very good and will pass on a lot of their experience. they can be more tolerant of newbies.

get a set of rules - free from the R&A website, just pay p&p

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
do I have to wear the naff trousers and dodgy jumpers,

Perhaps you could take up cricket instead? Then ask if they'll let you play in jeans
:D :D

Why not start by going to the driving range and hitting a few balls... to see if it interests you.

Regards......

Mandy

Hacker
Visit site
there ought to be a warning at the head of the forum, 'all ye that enter here, abandon the rest of your life'

playing midweek you'll run into seniors most often. don't disparage them, some of them are very good and will pass on a lot of their experience. they can be more tolerant of newbies.

When going around our local course played with a senior who plays every week, was very lovely man, compared techniques with etc, Then towards the end informed us he was 82!!

I hope I can still walk the course, let alone hit a ball as well as him, when I'm in my eighties!!!

As for starting out, I went to the local range, started with a few casual group lessons with the pga pro there. Set mornings but go as and when you can. Priced at £7 an hour lesson. Sometimes I was the only one who went so got 1-to-1 ! Even get a free drink incl afterwards!! :)

He is very good and mixed the lessons up so we did driving, putting, chipping, bunkers, etc. At the end of every month he takes the group to a local course and helps you play a 'proper' round of golf.

M