How to find a coach?

Freefly

Visit site
Hi Guys, I'm relatively new to the game and have got the bug. 6 months in and have had lessons with 3 coaches, but I feel that none picked up on simple ways to improve me and couldn't really be bothered to explain anything in detail, so instead I end up going on youtube to get an explanation and develop and improve. I want a serious and organised coach to help me develop. I've seen a couple of videos on golfmonthly and one coach on there giving tips in particular seems great with really clear explanations, I wonder if its worth travelling an hour or so to him or if i should persevere locally. Any advice on how to find a decent coach would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Look for anyone who invests in their career as a coach ideally. Someone who is learning new techniques, biomechanics, has flightscope/trackman/foresight.

Having a look at what I’d find suitable and forgive me I’m aware London is a large area but no idea how far away he is. This guy seems to be my ideal candidate.

https://alexsaary.com/

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the coach doesn't explain to you clearly how to make good impact with all clubs and only takes you through various swing positions then find someone who can.

sunshine

Visit site
Look for anyone who invests in their career as a coach ideally. Someone who is learning new techniques, biomechanics, has flightscope/trackman/foresight.

Having a look at what I’d find suitable and forgive me I’m aware London is a large area but no idea how far away he is. This guy seems to be my ideal candidate.

https://alexsaary.com/

Hmm.

Firstly Alex Saary is not in north London.

Secondly, his focus is: “ my passion and motivation is to help low handicap, elite amateur and professional golfers understand how to reach their true maximum potential.”

Doesn’t really fit the bill unless you are an elite amateur in west London!

sunshine

Visit site
North London, but willing to travel. Thanks

Do you want to have lessons in the evening or day time?

Most club pros attached to a course only work during the day. For evening lessons you will probably need to find a pro at a range.

Whereabouts in north London are you?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like any business, the best way is recommendations. Speak to various players at your club, assuming you are a member. If not then speak to others within the golfing circle, ie people at driving ranges etc.
It’s extremely important to find a good teacher, I’ve sadly wasted time and money on some rubbish who quite frankly are faking a living at it. It’s not so much the cost that has annoyed me, but more the wasted time !
A good pro should be passionate about what they teach, together with excellent technical knowledge and good communication skills. In addition they should also be looking to improve and develop themselves as things progress. That’s why a good recommendation is essential.