How to do my own gap testing!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I'm going to book a couple of ours in our club's SIM with a mate later this month.

A few swing changes on my part recently and I find myself flying a few pins so thought I'd re-calibrate the yardages I think each club carries, including some wedge 3/4 and 1/2 shots.

I've not done this before, was thinking I would start first with my wedges and work back to the longer clubs, but how many shots should I hit with each, and should I go for an average after removing any mis-hits or should I detail the one I hit the farthest?

Plus how many should I hit with each club? 3? 5? more?

Comments appreciated.

D

Deleted member 23270

How about 10 shots with each club and take out the 2 longest and shortest and average the remaining 6?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have not done a specific session but I would go off average removing mishits. 5 decent hits with each club should give you the info you need.

How often do you hit your furthest? If regularly then throw it in but if it is a one in ten connection then it is no different to a mishit short. I see you are off 9 so you may hit well more often. That is a judgement call for you.

Let us know how you get on. You don't need to post distances, just your experience and what you discovered.

D

Deleted member 23270

I have not done a specific session but I would go off average removing mishits. 5 decent hits with each club should give you the info you need.

How often do you hit your furthest? If regularly then throw it in but if it is a one in ten connection then it is no different to a mishit short. I see you are off 9 so you may hit well more often. That is a judgement call for you.

Let us know how you get on. You don't need to post distances, just your experience and what you discovered.
If he flushes 9 but tops 1 10 yards then he will end up with skewed figures. Always best to remove longest ans shortest if you want a reliable average.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would learn how to hit the ball 50yds using whichever wedge, with what feels like a half swing.
That's your standard.
Once you can do that you can adapt it to hit the ball further/less distance.
You do that by lengthening/shortening your swing, by changing clubs, moving your hands up and down the grip or a mixture of all 3.

For me, if I hold my SW at the bottom of the grip and swing half way, it goes 50 yds
If I hold my PW at the bottom of the grip and swing half way, it goes 60 yds, 9 iron 70 yards and so on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If he flushes 9 but tops 1 10 yards then he will end up with skewed figures. Always best to remove longest ans shortest if you want a reliable average.
Sorry, I was probably a bit confusing in my post. If he flushes 9, out of how many?, then is it a flush or is it his regular strike? I think we are actually saying the same thing but maybe I did not express it well enough. I agree on removing the extremes but I threw in the caveat that if the OP is a good ball striker then bear that in mind.

For myself I am very much in the camp of remove the extremes as the pure shot is a rare one, sadly :cry:.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You only need to a few irons and then extrapolate from those, say 4, 7 and 9. Use the extra time saved to do 1/2 and 3/4 shots for 8 iron and below.

Also don’t need to know the drive distance, just minimum carry.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, the yardage the OP records should be the one hit most often - not sure if this is mean or median, too long since I did this at school ?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm going to book a couple of ours in our club's SIM with a mate later this month.

A few swing changes on my part recently and I find myself flying a few pins so thought I'd re-calibrate the yardages I think each club carries, including some wedge 3/4 and 1/2 shots.

I've not done this before, was thinking I would start first with my wedges and work back to the longer clubs, but how many shots should I hit with each, and should I go for an average after removing any mis-hits or should I detail the one I hit the farthest?

Plus how many should I hit with each club? 3? 5? more?

Comments appreciated.

Scrap any bad shots, you're not playing for a duff on the course when u pick your club. Average say 10 non duffs on your part swings, 5 on full if u need to keep numbers down.

Be careful with a sim, results may need tweaking to on course yardage.

Particularly part shots as we naturally adjust to targets in real life, a video screen can take out a hit we didn't know we had in our swing and result in different yardages

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I took my clubs onto the practice ground. Hit 10 balls with each into the wind and down wind. Not overly scientific but I placed my bag where I hit the shots from and then went to the middle few balls and used my rangefinder to give me a yardage. Off my handicap I am not going to really worry +/-5 yards or so either way.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I took my clubs onto the practice ground. Hit 10 balls with each into the wind and down wind. Not overly scientific but I placed my bag where I hit the shots from and then went to the middle few balls and used my rangefinder to give me a yardage. Off my handicap I am not going to really worry +/-5 yards or so either way.
If only we had a practice ground ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If only we had a practice ground ?
Sorry. Can't help there. If you use the SIM, hit your normal ball you play. I'd simply take 5 shots per clubs and take the middle few assuming the strike is reasonable. I would pay more attention to the shorter irons and see how far a flat out 9/PW goes, a smooth 3/4 version and then play around with the wedges and hit 3/4 and 1/2 shots playing around with loft and ball position. Have some fun seeing what you can do and what the numbers are