How to Cope in a World Without Tiger

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy , just watch the rest as there is plenty of good golf being played , sure he will be back

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the memory of Tiger is better than the current reality. He is great to watch when on top form, but a pain to watch when he is Mr Grumpy and Spitty.

Like others have said, the Tour has survived Arnie and Jack moving on, and it will survive Tiger too. In fact, if some of the mashed potato crew leave, so much the better.

The game needs big names, and especially a good rivalry. Maybe Rory vs Rickie or Jordan or someone will do it.

That last point is key. Tiger was so dominant I genuinely believe the game suffered. What will fill the void, if there is one, is a palmer/Nicklaus/player type rivalry. I can't see one player being as dominant and the game may well benefit.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All this talk of how we will cope without Tiger is a tad premature.

Last year he won 5 events and ascended to the top of the rankings again, the only thing he didn't do was win a major and everyone rights him off.

I look forward to his return to health and many duels with Rory in the coming years.
Love him or hate him, he just makes TV golf more interesting to watch.

Now, where is the remote for the Tiger channel.

Last edited:

Alan P Mills

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As already said life and golf will move on without Tiger. He does seem to be struggling at present, he may have returned too soon after his operation. There were signs last week that he let his frustrations overflow and manifest themselves in swearing at spectators. He's not one for interacting with the crowd so only having negative ones will not go down well at all. For such a golfing icon it's a shame he acts so grumpy, a complete opposite to big Phil.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting question. As the viewing figures are so much bigger when Tiger is playing you have to reason that sponsorship will not be as big if and when the audiences drop when he retires. BUT, the sponsorships will still be huge. If they dropped by half from today's values, they will still be massive and the top golfers are hardly going to stop playing for still very big money and of course, the titles.
As for the game, well it could be argued that those extra people that tune in when Tiger is playing are armchair fans, not the really keen golfers who play regularly, say once a week or more. Those guys aren't contributing to golf other than adding to viewing figures and they are certainly not keeping their local course open. The real fans who do play regularly will watch every week regardless.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I suggest that it will be like dropping a pebble in pond, a few ripples then it will return as if nothing had ever happened. He was not bigger than the game, nor is anyone else.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The game needs big names, and especially a good rivalry. Maybe Rory vs Rickie or Jordan or someone will do it.

Good point Martin. For me, the Tiger issue is/was that when he was at his best, there was no rivalry, he dominated. Not something I like to see, much prefer to see a group of guys going head to head every week like the great period of Faldo/Langer/Lyle/Woosnam/Seve.

Conman85

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree, he has face like a slapped arse and has very little character. He was a serial, calculated cheater on his wife and I hope he doesn't reach Mr Nicklaus' record.
Rory is a straight up bloke and up and coming, Phil M is a much nicer bloke.

Golf is much bigger than one man. If all the stars got wiped out tomorrow, would we stop playing?

Lol, just lol at this and Phil has only become more approachable in recent years I believe!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, he has face like a slapped arse and has very little character. He was a serial, calculated cheater on his wife and I hope he doesn't reach Mr Nicklaus' record.
Rory is a straight up bloke and up and coming, Phil M is a much nicer bloke.

Golf is much bigger than one man. If all the stars got wiped out tomorrow, would we stop playing?

Rorys great for the game when hes playing well.
He sulked at the british open because he was playing crap.
He hit someone with a ball and didn't shout fore.
He cried off during a round touting toothache,and later said he lied.
Yes a straight up guy.

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
Watching Tiger at his best was watching something special for me, IMO his ability to produce the confidence and short game skills when he most needed them will not be matched.

I'm beginning to feel now though that watching him play is similar to watching any of the past greats. It's good to see but not the main event. Tiger may well string 4 good rounds together in the future and win a few bits more but he's not going to get back to were he once was.

Any of the young crop, Rory especially, can match tiger best for best in any one round (IMO Rory may edge it at his best) , but for me none of the younger chaps have yet got to level where they can grind out a decent score with anything lest than their best game. Tiger in his prime could get in the top ten of any comp with nothing like his best form and that was and maybe what always separates him from the rest.

I'm enjoying watching the current group battle it out and if Rory can start to grind on his off days he may well dominate, I would also like to see tiger featuring but I'm not expecting him to be challenging every week anymore.

The game will continue without tiger just as it has continued without any of the past greats. At the moment I see the void being filled with 4 or 5 people instead of any 1.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting question. As the viewing figures are so much bigger when Tiger is playing you have to reason that sponsorship will not be as big if and when the audiences drop when he retires. BUT, the sponsorships will still be huge. If they dropped by half from today's values, they will still be massive and the top golfers are hardly going to stop playing for still very big money and of course, the titles.
As for the game, well it could be argued that those extra people that tune in when Tiger is playing are armchair fans, not the really keen golfers who play regularly, say once a week or more. Those guys aren't contributing to golf other than adding to viewing figures and they are certainly not keeping their local course open. The real fans who do play regularly will watch every week regardless.

I think if you took away the once or twice a month pay as you play golfers, a whole host of courses would fold and interest in golf would be down spectacularly.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
depends if he starts well today, if he plays sher-hite i imagine he will find some injury to blame.

maybe an actual injury would cause bad play? ever played with a bad back?

- Jeesh the level of Tiger hatred in here is plain unhealthy:angry:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
maybe an actual injury would cause bad play? ever played with a bad back?

- Jeesh the level of Tiger hatred in here is plain unhealthy:angry:

Yes, had a back spasm 2 years ago, could not move for two weeks let alone play golf 3 days later;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes, had a back spasm 2 years ago, could not move for two weeks let alone play golf 3 days later;)

yes, you're a good comparison to Tiger:rofl:

I think his fitness level and recovery is on a different dimension to an older office worker:whistle:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
yes, you're a good comparison to Tiger:rofl:

I think his fitness level and recovery is on a different dimension to an older office worker:whistle:

recovery is one thing a miracle is another... makes no difference anyway, i don't think there was anything wrong with him, so of course recovery is ok;)