How to Cope in a World Without Tiger

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm with you Patrick ... I'm hoping to see him limp out on a stage during the Edinburgh Festival :whistle:

Him and his dodgy back have started with a par ... Customary squint tee shot and no drama (yet!)playing from the rough.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tiger was a rising star at about the time the media companies started investing heavily. If/when Tiger stops playing they will be looking to creating another 'star' to focus audience attention.

I'd expect TV companies will not be bidding to the levels they were because viewing figures (just like on-course attendance and ticket revenue) will reduce advertising revenue.

China is investing heavily so don't be surprised to find the centre-of-gravity of golf to move towards the Far East and the USPGA playing catchup.

Of course golf will survive, and some would say, be better for less dominance; but it might have reached its high point.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tiger was a rising star at about the time the media companies started investing heavily. If/when Tiger stops playing they will be looking to creating another 'star' to focus audience attention.

I'd expect TV companies will not be bidding to the levels they were because viewing figures (just like on-course attendance and ticket revenue) will reduce advertising revenue.

China is investing heavily so don't be surprised to find the centre-of-gravity of golf to move towards the Far East and the USPGA playing catchup.

Of course golf will survive, and some would say, be better for less dominance; but it might have reached its high point.

Like Hogans dominance Arnies dominance then Jacks dominance:whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Woods changed the face of modern golf and was the player of a generation and in his pomp almost untouchable at times. Sadly the injuries and form means he is streaky at best and will continue to fall out of regular contention more and more. How long he continues is open to conjecture. However others are now catching up and taking the game forward again. McIlroy, Scott, Fowler and others are young and hungry and so while one man (perhaps McIlroy) won't dominate to the same extent as Woods we are entering the same sort of golden era as Watson and Nicklaus or Seve and Faldo all going at it

D

Deleted member 15344

Today showed that golf doesnt need Woods - there are plenty guys out there that can take the game on

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a lot more players that are worth just as much, if not more airtime then Woods. There is one fact tho that they have mastered that Woods hasn't and never will master and that's post round interviews.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow - riveting watching - what a final days play - in fact brilliant last two days and the first two weren't that shabby either. And I can't help thinking that yesterday's viewing was actually rather the better for there not being a distraction on the periphery.