How to Cope in a World Without Tiger

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let me first point out that this is not a pro or anti Tiger thread, just interested in what people think is the best way forward.

Whether he gets over his current injury problems, regains form, is competitive again etc, the fact is that he is not going to be playing forever and to me indications are that there may only be a few more years of him prowling the course.

Whether you love him or loathe him, the simple fact is that in the most important market for golf, the US, he is gold dust. It is hard to argue that TV viewing goes up, advertising revenue goes up and the increased interest in the game or tournament brings lucrative prize money and sponsorship deals. So, how do you keep all of that going when he is no longer playing. Is there another golfer that can be promoted in such a way to fill the gap left? Would the impact be as great if that golfer were not an American as they do love it when it is one of their own at the top? Does it need someone who wins week in week out to appeal to the crowds as much as Tiger did or will that simply not happen again in our lifetime.

Is it simply going to be the case that the game will go on unaffected with no discernible drop in prize money, advertising revenue, sponsorship and TV viewing or will those fade away when the number 1 draw is gone.

Just wondering whether anyone thinks that there could be a bit of a problem in a number of areas once the decision is made and we know that Tiger will not be playing again.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The number 1 draw is just transferring over to Rory. From the yank point of view there is Fowler and Spieth who are pretty good so golf will be just fine.

Rory has a better swing than Tiger has ever had imo. It remains to be seen whether he can turn that into as many major titles though.

D

Deleted member 15344

I believe golf was doing fine before him and will continue to do fine without him

The game is bigger than one player - the majors and RC will still be around , the Fed Ex , companies and will still put money into such a big global sport

Don't believe anything needs to change - in fact in some ways it may help out some tournaments - instead of having to pay him 3 mil just to turn up and that money can go towards prize money attracting everyone. I actually look forward to golf no longer having to deal with any Tiger Woods drama

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been a Michael Schumacher fan all my life, when he retired the first time I had no idea how to feel about F1 and who to support. When he came back he was in poor form and it was rough and now.... well.

I draw similar parallels with Tiger. The sport will go on, another great will come, Tiger showed the way and how to be an athlete as Michael did in F1. Both very strange characters who dominated.

Interest in golf is dropping in the US we are told wile Tiger is not playing as well and the German Grand Prix was dead this year... I hope no one person is bigger than a sport.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When Tiger was in his pomp you could argue that it got a little boring as you knew that if he brought his A game he would win by 10 and his B game was usually good enough to win by 1 or 2. Personally I have found it more interesting in the last few years when you have no idea who will win and the competition is much more open. Having said that you would have to think that if anyone will dominate it will be Rory, perhaps not to the same extent as Tiger though. The Americans do seem to have taken to Rory so maybe this won't hurt the game in the US too much, particularly as half of them seem to think they're Irish anyway.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And we'll get to see more than the occasional long putt - that inevitably goes in - from many other players!

He's done a lot for golf/golfers, but it won't be the end of the bonanza when he's gone.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my time I have seen Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, Arnold Plamer, Jack Nicklaus, Seve, Tom Watson, Faldo, Tigger and now Rory all become the best players in the world.
The sport evolves.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This years Masters (without a Tiger or Phil at the weekend for the first time since 1994) had the lowest television ratings for 20 years.

Though the purists will be glad to see the back of the Tiger circus, he will leave a huge void to fill. He's an exciting character to watch who, like him or loathe him, he has brought a huge number of players into the game - who then go on to join clubs, subsidise fees for juniors and seniors, and keep golf thriving.

I don't begrudge people's dislike of Tiger and it is clear to see why he is divisive. But the game needs characters like him.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont see how Tiger is a character, he sulks around the course doing his own thing, its not like he interacts with the crowd in any way shape or form.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's going to be a challenge to attract the same level of sponsorship, you'd guess that when trying to attract sponsors they do so on the back of the TV viewing figures. No other player in the world attracts viewers like Tiger, regardless of how well he's playing, so keeping prize money up could be difficult. The argument that they'd be able to spend Tigers appearance money on the other players doesn't work for me, they wouldn't be paying him so much if he didn't attract at least the same amount of revenue. The game is just too big to ever get into real trouble, and fortunately Rory seems to be able to let some of his personality come across in interviews so we don't get the usual bland, media trained BS that most players reel off.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
The game managed before and will continue to do so. As for sponsorship, it shouldn't make too much difference, the BMW Chmpionship will still be just that, just as the Fedex will continue

D

Deleted member 18588

In my time I have seen Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, Arnold Plamer, Jack Nicklaus, Seve, Tom Watson, Faldo, Tigger and now Rory all become the best players in the world.
The sport evolves.

+1.

Thanks DfT, saved me having to type the same list.

Life goes on.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This years Masters (without a Tiger or Phil at the weekend for the first time since 1994) had the lowest television ratings for 20 years.

Though the purists will be glad to see the back of the Tiger circus, he will leave a huge void to fill. He's an exciting character to watch who, like him or loathe him, he has brought a huge number of players into the game - who then go on to join clubs, subsidise fees for juniors and seniors, and keep golf thriving.

I don't begrudge people's dislike of Tiger and it is clear to see why he is divisive. But the game needs characters like him.

I think its going to have a massive impact in commercial terms but mainly in the US. When Tiger's not playing/or he misses the cut viewing figures tumble which won't encourage sponsors to put their hands in their pockets and in turn prize money will drop and the sponsors will look elsewhere.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the memory of Tiger is better than the current reality. He is great to watch when on top form, but a pain to watch when he is Mr Grumpy and Spitty.

Like others have said, the Tour has survived Arnie and Jack moving on, and it will survive Tiger too. In fact, if some of the mashed potato crew leave, so much the better.

The game needs big names, and especially a good rivalry. Maybe Rory vs Rickie or Jordan or someone will do it.

backspin22

Club Champion
Visit site
the thread was doing so well too......

I agree, he has face like a slapped arse and has very little character. He was a serial, calculated cheater on his wife and I hope he doesn't reach Mr Nicklaus' record.
Rory is a straight up bloke and up and coming, Phil M is a much nicer bloke.

Golf is much bigger than one man. If all the stars got wiped out tomorrow, would we stop playing?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I agree, he has face like a slapped arse and has very little character. He was a serial, calculated cheater on his wife and I hope he doesn't reach Mr Nicklaus' record.
Rory is a straight up bloke and up and coming, Phil M is a much nicer bloke.

Golf is much bigger than one man. If all the stars got wiped out tomorrow, would we stop playing?

Because obviously we know these guys so well we can judge their character and moral fibre by what we read in the news, and see on TV.

Seve was a saint? I think not. Yet most golf fans love him.