How much is reasonable for a round

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me it's relative to the course. One of my locals is Chart Hills currently been toted at £100 a green fee (It's a nice course, but not £100) To me that's high and not worth it. However, I've paid £150 for Sunningdale and it was a deal for me. So it heavily depends on the course for me.

Crumplezone

Visit site
When I started playing maybe 6 or 7 years ago, it wasn't uncommon to get regular special deals online and get a round for as low as a fiver. These are as common on the club's own sites as on teeofftimes.co.uk. I quite often booked a round and only played 9 holes or so. Average prices have gone up and have gone up considerably since the first lockdown. Now, the minimum I pay will be around £17. £20-25 is more usual. It rules out those part rounds though as I like to get my money's worth! I'll pay a little bit more if I'm on holiday. Most I've ever paid is £45 for one of the St Andrews courses. Obviously you can pay a lot more.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i pay up to about £45 depending on whether its mid week or weekend.

i am looking to try and get a game in on Saturday afternoon/early evening and Woldingham, which is a £35-£40 course at best, is charging £100 for a 1 ball to tee off at 3pm

Visit site
It will all be about budgets then

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/courses/best/golf-courses-under-60-gb-ireland/

this is a good list of some very good courses below £60

£50 will get you a round on a decent course

Thats a very useful link
I've actually played Seacroft in Skegness - which they rank as the best under £60
Crazy to think that I played it in 1981 [when I was 16 on holiday] two months before I left home, for Uni etc ----- almost 40 years ago - and I still think I'm young :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it is just round of golf and there is nothing special about a round of golf so I doubt if you ever find me on a golf course where the green fee exceeds £30 and I am more likely to source out a course where it is £20-£25.

Grizzly

Visit site
Not really after what you'd pay for a 'bucket list' course, more what you pay for a round at a normal course and which courses you get for that price.

So, as a few people have said, I think this is quite a personal thing and a lot of it depends on circumstances. For me, since I joined a club I have tended to split my gold 2/3rds to 1/3rd in favour of home. Money is not a huge factor, and time is short, so I don't mind paying more than some folk would suggest, if it is a course I want to try. That said, some courses charge, or try to charge, waaaaaaaay more than they are really worth!

sunshine

Visit site
It will all be about budgets then

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/courses/best/golf-courses-under-60-gb-ireland/

this is a good list of some very good courses below £60

£50 will get you a round on a decent course

I had a quick read through that list. Essentially it is a list of courses that are either in the middle of nowhere or are in places that nobody wants to travel to... e.g. Bridgend and Hartlepool.

There are some notable exceptions e.g. Berkhamsted. But it's really all about diamonds in the rough.

sunshine

Visit site
I generally consider £12 for an hour’s entertainment a disposable amount. It aligns with buying albums, films, games etc. but I find it holds up to most forms of entertainment.

Round of golf in my head is 4 hours = £48, so there’s the base figure I’ll consider as not requiring much thought. Getting a better price is great, getting a worse price will just make me question it slightly harder.

It’s not a hard rule though, I’ve played great places for silly low and silly high prices and would call both extremeties good value for different reasons. Value to me isn’t just a measure of price.

I think this is a good way to look at it.

How much does it cost to hire a tennis court, squash court etc for an hour? Multiply by 4 for a round of golf.
How much does it cost to go to the cinema or theatre?
How much is a ticket to watch a football game? Multiply by 2 for golf...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
For me it is just round of golf and there is nothing special about a round of golf.

I know we are all different and it is wrong to attach your own feelings to those of others, but playing 18 holes at Broome Manor Muni (in my head) can't feel the same (for example) as when you walk through the dunes to the 16th tee at Tralee.

I just remember standing there and just saying "wow!" And that explains the price difference. (well, some of it!! :) )

But, as I said, we are all different.

D

Deleted member 3432

I had a quick read through that list. Essentially it is a list of courses that are either in the middle of nowhere or are in places that nobody wants to travel to... e.g. Bridgend and Hartlepool.

There are some notable exceptions e.g. Berkhamsted. But it's really all about diamonds in the rough.

Depends on where you live I guess.

Rather travel to Hartlepool than Berkhamstead personally :D

This list looks more eclectic than the top 100 based on Surrey heathland, Lancashire coast, East Lothian, Fife with various points in between.

sunshine

Visit site
Depends on where you live I guess.

Rather travel to Hartlepool than Berkhamstead personally :D

This list looks more eclectic than the top 100 based on Surrey heathland, Lancashire coast, East Lothian, Fife with various points in between.

But if I live in the middle of nowhere, and there is a great course on my doorstep, it's still in the middle of nowhere. It just happens to be convenient for me!

I agree it is definitely a more eclectic mix. I used to be a member at one of the courses on the list (Old Fold Manor) and it is a lovely course but hard to compare it with a top100 experience.

Zig

Visit site

Hey... I live in Hartlepool!!! :))

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
£25 I think is reasonable. Anymore than that and I’ll either have to be desperate, offer something special or really want to play it. Highest I’ve paid is £140. It came with valet service, club cleaning, personalised experience and play off the black tees. Was it worth the two hour drive and money? No, it rained and I’ve never played so badly. Almost nightmarish.

I will currently pay up to £250 for a round at JCB if anyone knows anyone? ?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Usually pay £20-35. Have paid up to £60 before in certain circumstances. But given the local courses at the moment, most sit in the sub £40 bracket and those above often have offers sub £50. £50 is where I start to question value etc.