How likely is a Women’s Masters?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Would mean 6 majors overnight. They have a tough enough time getting sponsors already. Would a sponsor free event that takes up best part of a months TV time away from other sponsors help?

Maybe the increased interest would, and maybe it breaks them into proper tv coverage, but as it stands their majors are demoted behind the lowest string PGA tour fields.

It does makes me laugh though regarding coverage - when people clamour for roll back to see pros play classic courses 'properly' but then when the women turn up to do exactly that, they don't show them and ask for tees to be moved up so they can shoot 62s to be entertainment...

I think theres a lot to sort in the LPGA before they take on the might of Augusta... and they need help that i dont think Augusta will give them.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It (the women's game) doesn't need it; the real battle with Augusta is, in the main, racism and sexism, and also elitism. It's taken time but racism and sexism are being addressed - better late than never. The elitism on the other hand remains, I have less issue with that but I understand why many would not.

There's a point at which you piggyback on something or chase something so hard (money and popularity) that it starts to diminish both products - the League Cup suffered with the expansion of the Champions League, and consequently the same happened to the FA Cup - I'm old enough that the nostalgia for both competitions means I'd saddened by their current standing.

A chequered history means Augusta has to make some amends, the boost for kids (Drive, Chip & Putt) and the Amatuer ladies are special and unique without detrimentally impacting the Masters. It's less about protecting the men, more protecting the product. I have no issue with that. For example, the ANA Inspiration - the winner jumps in the water, a wonderful annual photgenic opportunity and is the picture that most use to report the event. If the men's game decided to have a fifth major at Mission Hills and the winner jumps in the water at the end, that would diminish the women's product.

Equality doesn't mean everything has to be the same. Mission Hills (and the Evian in France!) hosts a major every year; Augusta similarly. The last thing the women's game needs is another major repeated at the venue every year. The bigger issue is how to increase the purses, the coverage, the sponsorship etc. without losing gains elsewhere.