How good are you with your SW?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We all hear every day, practice your short game. But what do you practice?
This is just my little clip of how I do it.
Below is a video of how I play the basic 40 yard pitch shot.

You will see I dont have to aim way left, the SW isn't laid wide open and I hold the club close to the bottom of the grip.
My stance is very narrow and my swing is quite short.

I also hope you can see when I hit the ball, I'm hitting down on it with no flick of the wrists and a puff of divot comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOklcLVF_E&NR=1

The second video shows the higher shot with the SW.
Apologies for the quality.

This swing I have opened up the SW face to add loft to it so I have to aim left to keep the face pointing at my target. Same narrow stance and low grip.
I then swing along the line of my body keeping the clubface open through impact, still hitting down on the ball and a longer swing.
As this shot is played with an open face, I would suggest caution when playing this shot off a tight lie as the club's bounce may interfere with the contact on the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a0IQaSjRvg

HTH :)

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
That's really interesting bob.

I used to open everything up from 80 yards in, my short game's always been pretty good.

Recently though i've been playing these ones much squarer and the major thing i've noticed is that the flight is much more consistent. I play at a links course now so it's a very rare occasion when you can open everything up from the fairway, particularly in summer.

I still like to keep the feet and shoulders fractionally open so i can clear my body through the ball and finish facing the target. I always grip down and hit ball then turf.

Thanks

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never been happy hitting high floating shots,unless theres absolutely no alternative.I always hit my wedges off the back foot,with a square stance and clubface.Maybe its just a personal thing,but i find spin and distance control far more controllable,with this type of shot,and less likely to be influenced by the wind.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Looks pretty similar to the linear method I've been using although I'd love to see your take on bunkers. Any chance of a BobMc masterclass online

Ill try and get down the range today and see what I can do. It is a bit dreach out there at the moment though :(

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its DRIECH here also, most amateurs -me def included- hit these fat far too often or blade it thru the green, whats your advice to help stop the fat or blade please Bob

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm useless with mine and tend to shy away from it! The last couple of rounds I'm forcing myself to take the shots on and try them out more instead of reaching for the pw or trying to chip round the problem!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use my 60 deg Lob Wedge a lot with chips and high floating lob shots. I do like to open the face if hitting over a bunker onto a green where it needs to land soft and stop, I also use it for many chip shots or pitches withing 50 yards.

I always use the Phil Mikleson method of hinge and hold where I hinge the wrists first then take the arms back the appropriate amount, I then hit through the ball with my hands moving forward but do not let the clubface pass my hands (This is the hold bit) no rotation of the wrists either. This method is also good with greenside bunker shots, it allows nice acceleration through the ball and maintains the loft you set at address, hands must always finish at least at chest height.

I hope this helps.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its DRIECH here also, most amateurs -me def included- hit these fat far too often or blade it thru the green, whats your advice to help stop the fat or blade please Bob

BOB?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love to be able to chip like that, How many wedges do you carry Bob ? only reason i ask is i have an old sand wedge in the bag. only realy use it on long near the green bunker shots, i use the 58 from that sort of distance & i try to punch into the ball & get a feel for it running up the face of the club. hoping to impart some stop/spin on it. would your swing /club vary depending on flag position or would you just change your swing speed ? sorry if these are silly questions , thanks in advance ,

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah thats what i need to work on, playing different shots with the same club., have the SW i hardly ever use , PW (no idea of loft) 58* & a 64*lob which i like if i short side myself , i find it particulary useful in greenside bunkers , so technicaly i suppose i only realy use 3. struggle on hard tight fairways 50yards in , have been trying to bump & run different irons , just not geting there tho . thanks again..

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 wedges is no way near enough

You need 46 (PW), 50 (Gap) 54 (utility), 58 (sand), 60 (lob), and 64 (XW)

Can't believe that the manufacturers have missed that gap ?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

BOB?

Why are you shouting at me ? :D

cause you didnt hear the first time :p

oh well, I'd rather you said you didnt know than just ignore a question, thanks anyway for your contribution to this area.