how far should I be driving?

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
I have just taken up golf and I feel like I am doing ok despite having only played 3 rounds and a couple of hours on the range.

One thing that Is nagging at me though is my driving distance- I have a taylormade rbz stg2 and seem to get about 150-200yrds on average ( it also has a massive veer to the left but that a's a separate question!)-is this about right for someone of my experience or should I be managing to get more? all reviews of this club seem to put it at the 275 mark.

Is it work forking out for some lessons to suss out any flaws I might have or am I just expecting too much too soon?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have just taken up golf you need to be more worried about them not going straight, a lesson or too with your local pro would help with that. Don't get hung up on distance once you have honed a good swing then the distance will come.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just taken up golf and I feel like I am doing ok despite having only played 3 rounds and a couple of hours on the range.

One thing that Is nagging at me though is my driving distance- I have a taylormade rbz stg2 and seem to get about 150-200yrds on average ( it also has a massive veer to the left but that a's a separate question!)-is this about right for someone of my experience or should I be managing to get more? all reviews of this club seem to put it at the 275 mark.

Is it work forking out for some lessons to suss out any flaws I might have or am I just expecting too much too soon?

Thanks in advance.

Colin

you're in the ball park area of where a huge majority of folks are when they first start

pay no mind to reviews on any particular clubs you have in relation to how far they should be sending the ball

most index player anyways are not driving the ball 275 yards with whatever kind of driver is in the bag

would as you starting off invest in a series of lessons before you develop to many 'bad habits' in the ways you hold the grip & set-up and address the ball - and then how you try to move the club from rest to impact

most folks are used to taking up games/sports & just being able to get to a reasonable standard so the assumption is that will apply to golf - for someone starting aged 9/10/11 that may well be the case for a percentage - but for someone starting the game sometime later than that it tends not to be - golf as a game is real counterintuitive - cost on lessons may seem ill spent

but for sure you will get more bang for your $ in terms of results & development & improvement if you bite the bullet early & take lessons

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Without knowing how fit you are it's impossible to know how far you might be able to hit your driver. The makers claims of x yards are just bogus - if I hit it I will get 230, if Rory McIlroy hits it he will get 350.

Just concentrate on learning how to get it into the fairway every time - distance doesn't matter right now, that comes later. Lessons are a fantastic way to spend your money (better than new equipment) and it's worth having them as soon as possible before you develop your own bad habits.

Good luck with learning the game!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
275yds in this country is for the pro's. Don't worry about that sort of figure. 180-200yds straight is a great starting point. Add length from that point.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you really are Popeye, and you haven't partaken of too much Olive Oyl before hand, I might suggest that, like the fast majority of us, 275yds will be your Summer Sunday best, downwind and after a good long dry spell. Just aim to get it on the fairway and 200yds away and that will be just fine and dandy at your early stage. Then you have a chance of playing a decent 2nd shot towards a steady bogey - see pars being a bonus in the early days.

Last edited:

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
thanks for the advice! have played a bit more and after many, many lost balls lessons might be the way to go-although some of my slices have been quiet impressive!!

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Concentrate on aiming at a point - aim at nothing and that's what you'll hit. Once you find you can, reasonably, achieve your aim then try hitting harder and longer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And I might suggest that when on the course you actually might want to think about hitting something like a 5i off the tee rather than a 'wood' - maybe not all of the time but as a lot of golf goes on 'between the ears' you need to aim to get a par or two on par 4s or 5s. And you really need to get the ball on the fairway to be able to do that. Hacking about following a poor or wayward drive is deflating and makes the game seem impossible, it's not - but we are all very good at making it seem so :)