How far do you hit your PW?

Springveldt

Visit site
Your handicap is just a number, we get far too worried about it IMHO, play your best and let your handicap be what it is.

If playing MP4s means your handicap goes to 9, so what?
He wouldn't be playing his best then, would he?

For me, I enjoy my Saturday morning golf as it gets me out the house, a decent walk and sometimes even decent banter. I love it though when I'm playing well. If someone told me those ugly launcher things that Crossfield is promoting just now would guarantee that I would be a Cat 1 player at the end of the season I'd put my i500's on eBay tonight.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
He wouldn't be playing his best then, would he?

For me, I enjoy my Saturday morning golf as it gets me out the house, a decent walk and sometimes even decent banter. I love it though when I'm playing well. If someone told me those ugly launcher things that Crossfield is promoting just now would guarantee that I would be a Cat 1 player at the end of the season I'd put my i500's on eBay tonight.

He'd be playing his best with the clubs in hand.

I don't understand the urge to buy the most helpful clubs available that will cover up our crappy play to enable us to reach a slightly lower handicap.
It's dumbing down golf.
(That should raise the hackles of a few forumers :p )

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't understand the urge to buy the most helpful clubs available that will cover up our crappy play to enable us to reach a slightly lower handicap.
It's dumbing down golf.
Because people don't want the game to be harder unnecessarily? It's like if you could play football with modern boots or an exceptionally heavy pair from the 1960s, you would wear the modern ones because they're just obviously better and make everything easier.

I will always want the clubs I can hit the best, I couldn't give a stuff what they look like really. Unless they're hideous to the point that it puts me off addressing the ball.

Last edited:

Wolf

Visit site

It's dumbing down golf.
And he is playing the best golf with the clubs he has. Your blinkered by your view of vintage golf. You enjoy playing a classic looking club others enjoy playing something that helps make the game more enjoyable for them, neither is right or wrong.

Nothing is dumbing down golf but if something helps others make it more enjoyable for them then that's the only thing that matters. As i get older I'll gravitate to more GI clubs because I want to continue to enjoy playing and for me there'd be no enjoyment hitting a nice shiny blade badly, but a nice chunky cavity that may give me that high ball flight will be more enjoyable

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
And he is playing the best golf with the clubs he has. Your blinkered by your view of vintage golf. You enjoy playing a classic looking club others enjoy playing something that helps make the game more enjoyable for them, neither is right or wrong.

Nothing is dumbing down golf but if something helps others make it more enjoyable for them then that's the only thing that matters. As i get older I'll gravitate to more GI clubs because I want to continue to enjoy playing and for me there'd be no enjoyment hitting a nice shiny blade badly, but a nice chunky cavity that may give me that high ball flight will be more enjoyable

We'll just have to disagree on that one then. :)

The thing that raises my hackles is that the manufacturers have convinced us that unless we're on tour (and even then it's not a good idea) we can't hit a blade and should pay through the nose for a load of bollox GI tech.
Hence nobody will even give blades a try, and by a try I mean playing them for a few months, not hitting one shot and recoiling in fear when the first attempt doesn't go as far as the GI equivalent.

Wolf

Visit site
We'll just have to disagree on that one then. :)

The thing that raises my hackles is that the manufacturers have convinced us that unless we're on tour (and even then it's not a good idea) we can't hit a blade and should pay through the nose for a load of bollox GI tech.
Hence nobody will even give blades a try, and by a try I mean playing them for a few months, not hitting one shot and recoiling in fear when the first attempt doesn't go as far as the GI equivalent.
Then disagree we will. I have 2 sets of old blades still a lovely set of TP9s and a set of TP11s, both still wonderful to hit only about half a club shorter than my cavities but i use the cavities because I don't have the time to practise and enjoy the blades im lucky at the moment if I have 2 rounds a month so its more enjoyable to use a set with some added forgiveness.

GI sets don't need to be expensive if you choose not to buy the latest models. New model blades can be just as expensive or even more so than GI clubs. End of the day people cut their cloth accordingly and can get good GI or blades at whatever budget they have nobody is forcing people to buy the latest equipment.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Then disagree we will. I have 2 sets of old blades still a lovely set of TP9s and a set of TP11s, both still wonderful to hit only about half a club shorter than my cavities but i use the cavities because I don't have the time to practise and enjoy the blades im lucky at the moment if I have 2 rounds a month so its more enjoyable to use a set with some added forgiveness.

GI sets don't need to be expensive if you choose not to buy the latest models. New model blades can be just as expensive or even more so than GI clubs. End of the day people cut their cloth accordingly and can get good GI or blades at whatever budget they have nobody is forcing people to buy the latest equipment.

TBF though the TP 9 PW is 50 deg and the 9 iron 45, they really have very little meat behind them and not that much forgivness comp to a modern blade.

i have a TP9 1 iron and i've seen thicker fag papers that that, its not even wide enough to butter some toast:ROFLMAO:

Thenearlygoodgolfer

Visit site
I use Mizuno MP18 and my PW is 46 degrees i believe. I hit it around 160. Theres a par 3 on my home track at Sale Golf Club, i use a pitch on 14 which is 160 off the yellows and im always centre of the green (when i hit it)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use Mizuno MP18 and my PW is 46 degrees i believe. I hit it around 160. Theres a par 3 on my home track at Sale Golf Club, i use a pitch on 14 which is 160 off the yellows and im always centre of the green (when i hit it)

It’s not a green below/downhill of where you tee off is it?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today I hit my Ap3 PW 2 inches too short to hole out for an eagle :LOL::LOL: Had 127 left to the flag ;)
My old AP2 PW was averaging out at 118 but that's another thread ;):D