How do you feel about golf?

Redskins21

Visit site
Very much the done thing on a lot of American courses.

Likewise, many golfers in America will always play with a cooler of beers in their cart.

How does that work, speakers on a cart or a big system playing over the whole course? I'm always tempted to put headphones in if on my own but fear I'll end up missing a fore shout and taking one to the head!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
How does that work, speakers on a cart or a big system playing over the whole course? I'm always tempted to put headphones in if on my own but fear I'll end up missing a fore shout and taking one to the head!

Not played over there - this is just from forums and youtube stuff, but I believe the carts have bluetooth speakers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So to make golf more attractive to a younger audience one thing that clubs have to permit is playing of music (loud?) because young folks these days don't or can't do anything without listening to music - regardless of whether or not it disturbs others. There is some truth there as we regularly witness the young lads and lassies (and older folks who should know better emulating them) in the queue of cars have the car windows down with music blasting out.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I did some caddying this summer where the group had their speakers and some country and western on, not loud, certainly wouldn't have heard it from any other hole, they had their tequila with them and overall it was one of the most sociable enjoyable rounds of golf I have been "involved" in. I can see why it works.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah played in Houston once with a guy who had a rubbish quality speaker on his trolley playing the worst playlist you could imagine. As above, loud enough to be heard on neighbouring holes. He was incredibly slow, left the trolley in the worst places you could imagine, daudled around and probably shot 150+ in spite of multiple practice swings and deliberate pre-shot routines (and a pre-putt rountine I had the pleasure of watching ~50 times). We were a 3 ball in a field of 4s and struggled to keep up, myself and the other guy practially running to make up the time. I could have swung for him, but it's his playground not mine.

How do I feel about golf? I love it. But I'd have had him dragged OOB and shot. So it can make you feel all sorts :censored:

Survey done (y)

Wolf

Visit site
Survey done..

Doesn't Greg Norman have a business that leases or sells carts that have built in speaker systems etc, called the experience or something that has built in 4G for streaming, GPS etc.

Personally I wouldn't wanna hear loud music from other holes, but as a junior often played with my head phones in and still do at the range so maybe something I'll do again soon

Edit : I was correct in my thinking it's called Shark Experience in conjunction with verizon.

https://sharkexperience.com/

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry - I started but gave up. I felt I was being led and that the questions were almost designed to enable more weight to sit in the interpretation of any answer than the answer itself.
Very weak questions IMO

masonmcdonagh

Visit site
Sorry - I started but gave up. I felt I was being led and that the questions were almost designed to enable more weight to sit in the interpretation of any answer than the answer itself.
Very weak questions IMO

What questions would you recommend as some feedback? I wasn't trying to 'lead' anyone, was just trying to offer some choices and see how people felt about certain things. I have no pre-meditated assumption about how people feel in terms of attracting a younger audience so I certainly wasn't trying to add weight to anything.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What questions would you recommend as some feedback? I wasn't trying to 'lead' anyone, was just trying to offer some choices and see how people felt about certain things. I have no pre-meditated assumption about how people feel in terms of attracting a younger audience so I certainly wasn't trying to add weight to anything.

Perhaps it was a subconscious thing on your part or a defensive thing on the part of some readers. I read it the same way, i.e. that you have an opinion that golf needs to change and its the oldies who are holding up the change. You may well be right. Equally, 'we' quite often hear/read that golf needs to modernise to become more attractive. If it does that, many of the current golfers, who have been committed to the game for many years, might find something else to do.

masonmcdonagh

Visit site
Perhaps it was a subconscious thing on your part or a defensive thing on the part of some readers. I read it the same way, i.e. that you have an opinion that golf needs to change and its the oldies who are holding up the change. You may well be right. Equally, 'we' quite often hear/read that golf needs to modernise to become more attractive. If it does that, many of the current golfers, who have been committed to the game for many years, might find something else to do.
I understand where you're coming from. It's just, I only have 10 questions and was interested to see how people feel about a younger audience and what they think it would take to attract younger players. If you disagree, that's fine. i appreciate the feedback.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from. It's just, I only have 10 questions and was interested to see how people feel about a younger audience and what they think it would take to attract younger players. If you disagree, that's fine. i appreciate the feedback.

I don’t have a problem with younger people coming into the game. It’s essential for all sorts of reason. The main one being it’s continued evolution. I used to be a junior, albeit 45 years ago, and ran the junior section for many years. I grew up campaigning for better access for ladies and juniors at a time when not conforming in golf didn’t win you many friends.

Equally, there is obviously a finite time a course can accommodate golfers. I don’t want a course to be “blocked” by some fancy 6 or 9 hole shoot out for the sake of getting 20-30 people out on a course because they haven’t got time for 18 holes.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

The best way to find out what would attract younger players would be to ask younger people who don't as yet play golf, most of those on here are in the older category and I'd guess all are already golfers.
I for one, and I suspect many more on here, don't really know what today's youth want from a sport.

Speak to the age group you're considering, find out what their conceptions of golf are and what, if anything, could be done to attract them to the game?
Perhaps it's just a better understanding of what grass roots golf is actually about rather than the common stereotypical (usually negative) stories we see and hear about?
Or maybe for most of today's teenagers/early twenties, golf just holds no interest?