How do the pro's get that sound on impact?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to the Open Wednesday. What struck me more than anything was the sound of the ball on the clubface that really loud "Click" sound at impact on every shot, even the short pitches. How do they achieve that sound? surely it is more than just the quality of strike.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope. Just quality of strike - though speed helps too.

I've been quite near quite a few and on some shots you can feel the shudder through the ground!

If it's Drives though, the boards around the tees give some odd echoes, so slightly different sound even for amateurs.

DCB

Visit site
It's all down to perfect ball striking. If your ahead of players, listen for the ball in the air, there's a sort if fizzing sound as it flies off into the distance.

Makes you wonder why we try and play the game ;)

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
It's all down to perfect ball striking. If your ahead of players, listen for the ball in the air, there's a sort if fizzing sound as it flies off into the distance.

Makes you wonder why we try and play the game ;)

Reminds me of the first time I went to Wentworth and we were following a very young Sergio. My son picked us a spot part way down the fairway, and we did indeed hear the ball "fizz" as it flew. It's golf - but not as we know it! ;)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love watching the pros hit their mid to long irons. I think it's the one part of their game that really does demonstrate how good they really are.
When you here that Click it almost sounds like they've thinned it, but the effortless way the ball just flys off the face and fizzes through the air just confirms how good these guys are.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds a bit geeky but I love the sound the irons make on there practice shots, especially the wedge practice shots. Same sound every time.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think its called the smash factor, its the shear club head speed smashing the ball.

Nah. Smash factor is the ratio between the ball speed and the club speed.

Eg Tiger Woods has/had a smash factor of 1.48. Bubba's is 1.52

I suppose you could argure the click is a result of this.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Now what do you think..........

I think smash factor is just the ratio on a measured strike under controlled conditions.

Swining the club as pro's do they are going to be hitting the sweet spot 95+% time with there irons, but I wouldn't describe that as "smash factor".

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its purely the quality of a squarely struck ball, not glancing blows but a proper attack angle with square face and hands slightly ahead.

We have all done it sometimes, that strike that you hardly felt as it hit the sweet spot and timing/angle etc etc was all in sync

Its repeating it that sets them apart

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is what a ball that is struck correctly sounds like. The pros concentrate on getting a good contact on the ball rather than trying to swing as hard as possible to try and smash it a mile, unlike a lot of club golfers........:whistle:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
That is what a ball that is struck correctly sounds like. The pros concentrate on getting a good contact on the ball rather than trying to swing as hard as possible to try and smash it a mile, unlike a lot of club golfers........:whistle:

Would "2 gloves" Gainey prove or disprove that :rofl:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i bet there will be an app for the sound soon,just getting the app to go off as you duff your 7 iron 20 yds would be a bummer thou!!!!