hooking the Hybrid

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I play a slight fade with the driver where Im aiming for the border of the left rough / fairway and it "comes back" most of the time but in the last couple of weeks Ive been straighter.

However, since being straighter with the driver, Ive gone from hitting the 3 hybrid off the tee (required on our 9th, 12th & 14th) with the occasional hook which as Im aiming left centre ends up in deep trouble - or like this weekend on the 9th, lost!

It must be a swing based error as its intermittent but I just cant workout what Im doing wrong.

Any ideas?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you're hitting a fade, the face is fractionally open to the club path.

When you hit your hook, you're face will be closed to the path.

When you hit the hook, I'm guessing the ball is starting straight then moving left?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check your ball position on hybrid - could be too far forward. Treat it like s mid iron and not a fairway wood.

2nd this.

I have the leading edge of 5h bang in line with my nose (middle of stance) for standard shots. I play a draw (try to). If i want to fade it, I just move ball back to middle of stance and it leaves face open slightly.

I genrally find when ball is too far forward, it hooks.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're hitting a fade, the face is fractionally open to the club path.

When you hit your hook, you're face will be closed to the path.

When you hit the hook, I'm guessing the ball is starting straight then moving left?

I might be talking guff but can the face and path not be "perfect" but still hooking it if the strike is on the toe?

could be another thing to look at as was one of the reasons I regularly hooked my hybrid

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
2nd this.

I have the leading edge of 5h bang in line with my nose (middle of stance) for standard shots. I play a draw (try to). If i want to fade it, I just move ball back to middle of stance and it leaves face open slightly.

I genrally find when ball is too far forward, it hooks.

I think you could also be onto something here. Ill have a bash down the range tonight and take these points into consideration. Thanks man!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play a slight fade with the driver where Im aiming for the border of the left rough / fairway and it "comes back" most of the time but in the last couple of weeks Ive been straighter.

However, since being straighter with the driver, Ive gone from hitting the 3 hybrid off the tee (required on our 9th, 12th & 14th) with the occasional hook which as Im aiming left centre ends up in deep trouble - or like this weekend on the 9th, lost!

It must be a swing based error as its intermittent but I just cant workout what Im doing wrong.

Any ideas?

I found out a long time ago that I always need to get a stiffer shaft in the hybrid in comparison to the other clubs. So for me, it's stiff I'm the other clubs but XS in the hybrid. This has worked wonders for about 15 years and several different clubs combinations, highly recommend it.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
small bunch of things would look to check over before assuming it's a swing fault that has the swing deviating from what's
been the norm motion - (would be careful over moving grip any as that could result in driver missing rightfield a bunch)

(am assuming the hybrid strikes are pretty good at center face - but good idea to buy a can of footspray to check the pattern of strike locations on the face)

but thing to be useful to know first off is how the set-up to the ball is on the tee box with the hybrid and what the thoughts generally are about the swing intentions - thinking about delivery of the clubhead is the notion to 'clip' ball off of tee? does the tee itself as a norm either remain upright or get knocked out of ground some??

so off of the tee is the ball nearer to the lead heel as it would be more for a metal and is the shaft angle of the hybrid when looked down upon more vertical as it would tend to be for a metal??

and if so (but also even if the ball position isn't nearer the lead heel) is the ball on tee height more like it would be for 3 metal (so half inch give or take) as opposed to height for say a 6i when the tee would be down in the ground more to the 'cup'??

reason behind the Q's are this set-up stuff has a natural influence (whether realized or not) to the swings shape (going back and coming through impact) - the angles to the shaft at set-up plus the distance aways from the ball at address greatly influences how the club goes back and the overall swing shape - such as too far way from ball (often times seen as folks look to a similar 3 metal set can easy affect face alignment and a shape that's a ways too much 'around' couple that with a more vertical shaft cause the ball's too far forwards and a good ways easy to swing around plus giving the hands/arms more time to turn over through the ball)

also just a very basic set-up hybrid face alignment issue I often times see folks alignment the top face to crown line of the hybrid 'square' to the intended line if this happens the clubface gets toed in some so the face is closed to square of the initial picked target line - the bottom leading edge is closed to that intended aim line - make sure the bottom leading edge of the hybrid face is what's used to get 'square' alignments to target line

toontiger26

Hacker
Visit site
i had same issue with my hybrid and certainly since hitting new driver. I like you have tried with a stronger grip pn the driver and thats flying straight most of the time. I have relaxed the grip slightly on the hybrid, play it central in my stance and it seems to go straighter :)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
small bunch of things would look to check over before assuming it's a swing fault that has the swing deviating from what's
been the norm motion - (would be careful over moving grip any as that could result in driver missing rightfield a bunch)

(am assuming the hybrid strikes are pretty good at center face - but good idea to buy a can of footspray to check the pattern of strike locations on the face)

but thing to be useful to know first off is how the set-up to the ball is on the tee box with the hybrid and what the thoughts generally are about the swing intentions - thinking about delivery of the clubhead is the notion to 'clip' ball off of tee? does the tee itself as a norm either remain upright or get knocked out of ground some??

so off of the tee is the ball nearer to the lead heel as it would be more for a metal and is the shaft angle of the hybrid when looked down upon more vertical as it would tend to be for a metal??

and if so (but also even if the ball position isn't nearer the lead heel) is the ball on tee height more like it would be for 3 metal (so half inch give or take) as opposed to height for say a 6i when the tee would be down in the ground more to the 'cup'??

reason behind the Q's are this set-up stuff has a natural influence (whether realized or not) to the swings shape (going back and coming through impact) - the angles to the shaft at set-up plus the distance aways from the ball at address greatly influences how the club goes back and the overall swing shape - such as too far way from ball (often times seen as folks look to a similar 3 metal set can easy affect face alignment and a shape that's a ways too much 'around' couple that with a more vertical shaft cause the ball's too far forwards and a good ways easy to swing around plus giving the hands/arms more time to turn over through the ball)

also just a very basic set-up hybrid face alignment issue I often times see folks alignment the top face to crown line of the hybrid 'square' to the intended line if this happens the clubface gets toed in some so the face is closed to square of the initial picked target line - the bottom leading edge is closed to that intended aim line - make sure the bottom leading edge of the hybrid face is what's used to get 'square' alignments to target line

Thanks for taking the time to write this!

A lot to take in but Ill bear what I can remember in mind when I hit the range to practice some of this.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found out a long time ago that I always need to get a stiffer shaft in the hybrid in comparison to the other clubs. So for me, it's stiff I'm the other clubs but XS in the hybrid. This has worked wonders for about 15 years and several different clubs combinations, highly recommend it.

This is what my pro told me. she said in general hybrids seem to have softer and lighter shafts which 'can' cause hooks.

I'm the same, I fade most clubs but draw my hybrid. It's ok for me as I know this so I just aim down the right side.