Honesty boxes

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was on holiday a few years back in the Lake District and visited a club which ran an "honesty box" system - I think it was Grange over Sands. I was just thinking how fantastic our sport is that clubs can trust visiting players to cough up. Does anyone else's club have an honesty box for visitors? On another point, if the green fee was £100, would you pay the whole amount? Honestly...

JustinHarvie

Visit site
Of course I would! Actually, I probably wouldn't be playing on a course where the green fees were £100 anyway! I've not come across an honesty box, but maybe its a good idea if a club wants to save on staff costs etc. I hate to be a pessimist, but I suspect that in the cruel light of day they'd find people aren't necssarily as honest as they ought to be!

B

birdieman

Scotland has a few, I've come across this feature at Lochgilphead, Ullapool, Lumphanan, Craggan, Carrbridge, paid them all I think!
If you dont pay undoubtedly karma will get you in some other way - speeding ticket, parking ticket, dog eats new golf bag etc etc.
Pay up, you'll never enjoy the game otherwise.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, have come across a few on Skye and such like where the sheep do a lot of the greenkeeping, just like the old days.

Of course you pay up. If you don't then you're likely to be the type who puts yourself down for a 5 when you know fine well you had a 6.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sound like a good idea, be perfect at a driving range, when you come down to your last ball and want to hit a good shot to go home with a smile on your face but shank it into the side netting, being able to just pay a pound for 10 balls to hit that one last good shot and go home with a smile.

As for on a course i have seen one, have been to a resteraunt that did the same which worked out well for all.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's an honesty box for a course I play near Hemel Hempstead and I always put money in it. You have to take a ticket and tie it to your bag and I'm always paranoid that if I didn't do that some member would notice and the shame would be too much too bear!
There's no way I would spend £100 on a green fee anyway, never mind putting £100 cash in a box that would probably be pilfered 5 mins later. But if I was loaded then I definately cough up as like birdieman said I do believe bad karma would come and seek me out but then I just can't ever get away with things like that. Don't get me starting on parking tickets and clamping.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Honesty has to be the best policy - not for any particular moral view but there is no doubt that if you didn't put your money in the honesty box then every putt that round would lip out, your ball would disappear down some rabbitt holes, the shanks would come on at some point and it would pur with rain. The Golfing Gods are like that

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Honesty boxes are usually there for players to pay their green fees before the Pro's shop opens early in the morning. Don't forget that by the time you come off the course about 3-4 hours later, the Pro has opened the box and is waiting for any delinquent who hasn't paid.