Homer's Club Champs - What's he gonna score?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well in every post the honourable Dr Homer keeps reminder us he's gonna hit 300 balls and then play 36 holes on Sunday in his Club Championship. Well what he gonna shoot?

I'm going for a hot chocolate start (6) and then 85 followed by a 91 for a 176 total gross, which will be 30+ behind the winner - M Reid?

Anyone got any thoughts?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sammmebee

As usual you pathetic attempts at humour are based on crap. In a recent post I said I normally hit about 100 shots before playing 18 holes. If you are set upon continuing your petty slander against me please have the courtesy to be accurate. I am not a qualified practitioner or a man of learning so Mr will suffice thank you. The only thing I agree with is your choice of winner. I saw Malcolm hitting some balls the other day and he is striking it great.

As for me and the way I'm playing I'd be happy with two net 80's and a +20 total although I think two 68's will be needed this year to win it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plantie

Its par 70 (35 and 35). Normally the front 9 plays easier than the back but having spoken to the head greenkeeper they are rolling the greens and cutting them real low to speed them up and he has said look out for the "interesting" pin placements on a couple of the holes.

Not playing well enough to even consider myself a contender for the handicap prize (best nett score) and the days of competing for the main prize went way back in the early 80's. I'll be happy to shoot 150 (+10) but my head tells me it will be a struggle. Still not being to pessimistic I'm out for a game this afternoon and have a lesson booked for tomorrow so who knows it may all fall into place

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a lesson this morning so even less chance of me shooting well now!!! However my bag is packed and I've given the clubs a good clean including the grips so there can be no excuses. I'm tying to con the raingods as the waterproof trousers are in my kitbag and I've only got a showerproof top in the golf bag at the moment.

Off to bed in a while to get plenty of sleep and then see what happens tomorrow.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck Homer. I'll give you a thought 4 or 5 hours into my journey to the land of J_F!

As I don't know the likelihood of finding a wi-fi or public net cafe, you'd better txt me if you do something wild and crazy, like win the (nett) thing!

- - - - - -

RGuk signing off for a while!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well as predicted I played like an absolute hacker. My head was full on swing thoughts and I shot a pathetic 98 gross (nett 84 +14) in the morning which was helped by a 9, 8, 7 and several 6's. The 9 was on our par 5 5th courtesy of two hooked drives left OB and the 8 courtesy of a slice on the 10th and a lost ball. As you can tell I was playing straight line golf. The sad bit was that I was only 1 over par before I hit the 9.

Have to be honest and say once I had made 9 and then the 8 my mind switched off and I was just swinging the club with no real thought process. I was actually in two minds whether to even go out this afternoon but personal pride and courtesy to my playing partners ensured that I did and that I handed my other card in.

Actually I played a little more consistantly and shot a gross 91 (nett 77 +7) for a total of 161 which was a staggering 21 over my handicap for 36 holes. At least I'm up to 14.6 and so off 15 again. To be honest this afternoon was all about just having some fun so I was trying to hit stingers, play flop shots around the greens and generally taken the 100 to 1 shots on for a bit of fun.

I need to work on the principles shown in my lesson yesterday. The annoying thing being that I went to the range (it was dryer) yesterday afternoon and I was swinging as I had been in the lesson and struck the ball pretty solidly. Ph well there is always next year! I left after a post match drink so I don't know the winning score or whether I finished rock bottom but will find out tomorrow