Professional speaks out over the Belly Putter.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Interesting what he says............also interesting to note the name of the competitor that shot 85....chopper!!:D

BELLY-PUTTER SHOULD BE BANNED - SAYS WINNER IAN BRATTON

By COLIN FARQUHARSON
Colin@scottishgolfview.com
Newburgh club pro Ian Bratton shot a three-under-par 68 to chalk up his third win of the North-east Golfers' Alliance season at Murcar Links today.
But whereas his early-season successes were achieved with a conventional putter, this was his first since he switched to a belly-putter.
"I've been using it for a month and what a difference it makes. I had only 29 putts today. Having said that, they're going to have to ban the belly-putter," said Bratton (pictured).
"It's not really a golf stroke. By anchoring the putter in your mid-riff you are able to get a so-smooth pendulum swing you can never duplicate with a normal putting stance. It should be declared illegal and probably will be within the next two or three years," said Bratton who was two over par after bogeys at the first and third.
He covered the remaining 15 holes in five under par, five birdies, including three in a row, coming in a purple patch of seven holes from the fourth to the 10th.
Bratton, who is still waiting for an operation on his left wrist which was, as usual, quite painful by the end of his round, headed a field of 85 in spring-like temperatures but a bit of a breeze by a single shot from Inchmarlo Golf Centre staff pro Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Fitzpatrick's eagle 2 at the 17th, where he holed a nine iron approach, left him needing a birdie at the last to win and a par to tie. Instead he missed the green with his second and took three more to get down for a bogey 5 and a 69.
Former North-east Alliance champion Bill Urquhart, making a rare appearance these days, finished third over his home course with a round of 70.

LEADING SCRATCH
Par 71. Yardage: 6,516

68 I Bratton (Newburgh)
69 R Fitzpatrick (Inchmarlo).
70 W S Urquhart (Murcar Links).
71 L Vannet (Carnoustie Links), B Nicolson (Auchmill), S Larkin (Royal Aberdeen).
72 K Nicol (Fraserburgh).
73 C Nelson (Mackenzie Shop), G Paterson (Northern), S Finnie (Caledonian), G Nethercott (Deeside), J Duff (Newmachar), C Dempster (Inchmarlo), K Duncan (McDonald Ellon), R McKen (Newburgh).
74 T Mathieson (Murcar Links), D Macandrew (Royal Aberdeen), J Mitchell (Fraserburgh), M Lawrie (Kemnay), F Clarke (Newmachar).
75 A Smith (Turriff), A Campbell (Deeside).
76 J Nicolson (Auchmill).
77 B Harper (Newburgh), R Lamb (Newmachar), C Alexander (Murcar Links).
78 K Watson (Deeside), M Forster (Cruden Bay), A Gall (Deeside), D Fleming (Portlethen), G Milne (Newburgh), J Forrest (Murcar Links).
79 J Hopwood (Carnegie), D Leslie (Northern), M Merchant (Newmachar).
80 C Brown (Kemnay), Laura Murray (Alford), M Duncan (Murcar Links), L Fowler (Royal Aberdeen). L Roger (Royal Aberdeen).
81 E Kennedy (Newmachar), J Duncan (Newburgh), A Graham (Aboyne), J Murray (Banchory), W McKenzie (Berryhill DR).
82 Claire Prouse (Hazlehead).
83 C Carnegie (Kemnay). J Thomas (Newmachar).
84 H Roulston (Stonehaven), D Wilson (Duff House Royal).
85 R Brown (Newburgh), S Davidson (Northern), B Lumsden (Northern), P Cheyne (Northern), F Bisset (Banchory), D McKay (Caledonian).
86 J Dalgarno (Hazlehead), M Booth (Kemnay), D Nelson (Aboyne), N K Parker (Murcar Links), R Orr (Auchmill).
87 P Morrison (Oldmeldrum), G Homer (Northern), W Shaw (Banchory).
88 D Bisset (Banchory), C Duffus (Kemnay).
89 J Scott (Peterculter), H McNaughton (Cruden Bay).
90 J Forrest (Northern).
91 P Cornfield (Auchmill), K Stephen (Northern).
92 J Jessiman (Oldmeldrum), D Wright (Northern).
94 M Brown (Newburgh).
95 M McLean (Murcar Links).
97 C Brindley (Banchory).
108 P Leach (Oldmeldrum).

HANDICAP PRIZEWINNERS
Class 1 - M Lawrie (7) 67; B Nicolson (Auchmill) (1) 70; M Forster (Cruden Bay) (7), G Paterson (Northern) (2), J Forrest (Murcar Links) (7), C Alexander (Murcar Links) (6), A Smith (Turriff) (4) 71.
Class 2 - L Roger (Royal Aberdeen) (12) 68; J Murray (Banchory) (10), B Lumsden (Northern) (14) 71; S Davidson (Northern) (13) 72; R Brown (Newburgh) (12) 73.

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dont think they should be banned. If they were that good more pros would use them and winning comps left right and centre. Yes one or two people have improved their putting slightly, but they really dont offer that much advantage.

I had my putter chopped to 29in last year and my short game has improved dramatically. Does that mean there should be a limit on how short a putter should be too?

T

thecraw

Class 1 Handicap winner.

M Lawrie, any relation or son perhaps of a first round winner today?