Home Schooling - tips and experiences

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Spent the afternoon divvying up my home office to temporarily share with my 7 year old daughter, in preparation for her home schooling from tomorrow. I can see I’m going to be bossed around a fair bit (no change there) in the coming weeks and months. My wife and I are classed as key workers, but can work from home so have taken the decision not to send our daughter to school. It’s going to be an interesting experience. Interested in any tips to keep things interesting/fun/engaging.

Her school has sent her some online stuff to do, which will be regularly topped up, these appear focussed on English and Maths up to now. We’re planning on doing the Joe Wicks PE class at 9am each day. We’ve thought of some fun tasks/projects she can do for short bursts each day unsupervised. But I’m not a teacher and don’t want her to be bored. She’s really bright and keen to learn, so I don’t want our clunky approach affecting this.

Interested in hearing from others in the same situation and their stories/experiences as this unique situation evolves. Also hope we can share any good resources etc.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife and I are classed as key workers, but can work from home so have taken the decision not to send our daughter to school.

Weird that, my work has fought hard to get me classed as a Key worker so the school will take my child while I work from home. Mine is 4 however so needs fairly decent level of supervision and hands on education/entertainment

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Weird that, my work has fought hard to get me classed as a Key worker so the school will take my child while I work from home. Mine is 4 however so needs fairly decent level of supervision and hands on education/entertainment
My work have been understanding of the issues and supportive in whatever decisions I and other colleagues have made for our families. Similarly, we’ve been flexible in return, working outside of usual office hours etc. It was a much easier decision for us, knowing she can entertain herself for extended periods should we have Skype meetings etc. However, I appreciate many will not have that luxury. Are you happy to be taking your child in to school tomorrow? Is your partner also a key worker?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My work have been understanding of the issues and supportive in whatever decisions I and other colleagues have made for our families. Similarly, we’ve been flexible in return, working outside of usual office hours etc. It was a much easier decision for us, knowing she can entertain herself for extended periods should we have Skype meetings etc. However, I appreciate many will not have that luxury. Are you happy to be taking your child in to school tomorrow? Is your partner also a key worker?

It is just interesting that our situations are exactly the same but we are doing different things, my work have been amazing and will continue to be. I just don't think I can face being a full time worker, teacher, parent and afterschool child carer four days a week and stay mentally and physically healthy. That would mean "working" 8am to 11pm if I were to do all to their fullest.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'm lucky in a way as my daughters school have got a full timetable of stuff for her to do remotely. Then again we do pay for her to go to a private school and I suspect a few of the parents would kick up a stink if the school were not doing all they can to keep the academic lessons going. But I know many others are not so lucky and will be trying to juggle work/childcare etc etc which will be challenging to say the least. Think all you can do is do your best and don't beat yourself up about it, we are in very strange times.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Day 1 went ok. Quickly realised the importance of planning and taking a structured approach. Also, regular breaks are important. We did the Joe Wicks workout, and had 40 mins in the garden as was a bright and fresh afternoon, which broke the learning up. I enjoyed it. My working day was stretched a bit longer than usual to accommodate everything. I can deal with that though.

Amazing to see how resilient and adaptable kids are. Made it sink in how much socially distancing/lockdown will impact children, my daughter is going to miss her friends and our family enormously. Gone from going to school, dancing, brownies, swimming and gymnastics to literally only seeing me and her Mam.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Home tuition, good luck with that!

I remember my daughter struggling with trig many years ago. I sat down and started to explain SOHCAHTOA to her and being met with ' We dont do it like that any more Dad'

Wolf

Visit site
I think for me I'd be cutting them some slack for a week or 2, it's a big adjustment for them especially little ones being off and not understanding why. I'd do a few bits from the bitesize website and curriculum downloads but i wouldn't be pushing a full day on them until they're settled, or I'd just make it morning for school work and afternoon for learning practical skills, home baking, field craft that can be learnt in garden. Things they can have fun with and enjoy the learning process.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think for me I'd be cutting them some slack for a week or 2, it's a big adjustment for them especially little ones being off and not understanding why. I'd do a few bits from the bitesize website and curriculum downloads but i wouldn't be pushing a full day on them until they're settled, or I'd just make it morning for school work and afternoon for learning practical skills, home baking, field craft that can be learnt in garden. Things they can have fun with and enjoy the learning process.
Yep, totally agree. When I say structured approach, it’s the planning and preparation that goes into it to make it fun that is important, rather than drilling them with times tables and giving lectures etc. It also prevents boredom. She’s going to have no one to play with (other Than her parents) for months. So keeping her mind active and a distinction between work and free time will hopefully lessen the boredom.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't have kids myself but spotted a company on Facebook the other day called Twinkl.co.uk offering free resources on its learning website. Might be worth a look.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't have kids myself but spotted a company on Facebook the other day called Twinkl.co.uk offering free resources on its learning website. Might be worth a look.

HID tells me Twinkl is good. Used to have subscription when kiddo was 8 or 9. Good for basics.

Yesterday all the school online software sites went down.. apparently there was a surge in demand. Now you would expect the IT folks would have made provisions

BTW, that wireless printer i spent a few quids on... is been money well spent.

sunshine

Visit site
We've signed up to twinkl - so far looks like a fiver well spent. Home printer is getting a workout.

Although they are winding each other up, they are all girls and keeping each other company. I'm going to organise video chats so my 6 year old can have a natter with her mates, she's used to ballet, gymnastics, rainbows etc as well as school so this is going to have a big impact.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 7 year old boy is being schooled at home. School is doing a cracking job of keeping the work and class interaction going. They fully accept that the academic stuff may fall by the wayside but are more concerned by mental health and wellbeing. He has been busy both days, it’s quite practical stuff.
The key for us is to keep him exercised and happy.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We've signed up to twinkl - so far looks like a fiver well spent. Home printer is getting a workout.

Although they are winding each other up, they are all girls and keeping each other company. I'm going to organise video chats so my 6 year old can have a natter with her mates, she's used to ballet, gymnastics, rainbows etc as well as school so this is going to have a big impact.
I spent £49 on ink yesterday to print out all the maths/spelling sheets provided by the teacher. It was the last pack left, so imagine a lot of people are doing the same. Can’t remember the last time I bought ink, usually print off stuff at work.

My wife has contacted some of my daughter’s friends’ mum’s to set up a Skype call. 5 of them are ‘meeting’ tomorrow. Little things like this are going to provide a little bit of normality to a surreal situation.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The 9am Joe Wicks workout is very good... gets some blood in the legs... Highly recommended
We’ve done both days up to now. I’m way more unfit than I thought. Thighs and arse cheeks are killing after all of the squats and lunges. We’re quite enjoying it - even though I thought he was a bit of a knob beforehand.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Week one is over. It was challenging at times to maintain our workload and ensure our daughter was ok and engaged/entertained. We’re lucky that we can work outside of normal office hours to get stuff done, plus there are two of us working from home to share the load. However, it was also great fun doing some of the stuff and a pleasure to get to teach my daughter things (some of which I’d forgotten I knew), as well as learn from her. I already appreciated our teachers, but this has increased tenfold. How they get the children to learn is amazing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
With trips out being limited, this may be a good opportunity to teach kids (and parents) how to cook.
No need to worry about junk food and school dinners.
So much tastier, cheaper and healthier for everyone.
Maybe make some home made treats for rewards that the kids actually make themselves
Lessons for life