Hole in One - Or not?

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was playing in our winter 4BBB comp last weekend

We made the schoolboy error of winning the 1st, have always been told at our club never to win the 1st!!!

How right they were, 2nd hole short downhill par 3, opposition guy steps up, one bounce straight in the hole. Lovely shot, no luck, first ace, handshakes all round.

Walking down the 7th, "hole in one guy" turns to me and says "I've just realised I've 15 clubs in my bag, mate had borrowed a driver from him, and when returned he had just thrown into his bag in the back of the car.

We were unsure of the rules, I said I wasn't bothered anyway as he was clearly never going to use it. But just in case I thought he would need to declare that, and if any penalty was enforced later I believed it would then only apply to the preceding holes.

Credit to the guy he declared it himself, none of us would have been any the wiser. On returning to the clubhouse he informed the chairman of M&H who gave us the ruling. Loss of hole for every hole the club was in the bag, until 8th, up to a max of 2 holes lost. We had no intention of claiming this so it didn't matter anyway, and most likely wouldn't have affected the match.

So after all my waffle, the main question is, does the hole in one stand?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Haha excellent dilemma!! I guess technically no as there is a 2 shot penalty for each hole up to a max of 4 shots.

I would still claim it though ;)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a sickener that it's marred by that, but personally if the club he used would have been in his bag anyway I don't see the issue. The driver borrowed wasn't in play by the sounds of it. Rules-wise yeah it's a bust but achievement-wise he struck a hole in one imo.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I could be talking from my derriere here as I'm not sure where I've heard or read this so it could be wrong, but I thought the penalty for 15 clubs was applied against the overall score rather than the scores for individual holes.

So, lose the first in matchplay then discover the extra club and you're now 2 down after 1.
Blob the first in a stableford then discover the extra club and you have -2 points.

Have I got my knickers in a twist?

And as for the hole in one; definitely counts in my eyes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I could be talking from my derriere here as I'm not sure where I've heard or read this so it could be wrong, but I thought the penalty for 15 clubs was applied against the overall score rather than the scores for individual holes.

So, lose the first in matchplay then discover the extra club and you're now 2 down after 1.
Blob the first in a stableford then discover the extra club and you have -2 points.

Not 100% sure Gary but I think you may be correct. The way I've been playing recently I reckon I could be -2pts after 1 hole with 14 clubs in my bag :eek:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As far as records of its a comp. probably recorded simply as lose of hole.

But if if it were me, it'd definitely be considered a hole in one.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Its buried in there deep but absolutely correct. Saying that I'm not sure if you can end up with a negative stableford score, all it says is the penalties are subtracted from your final score.

Last edited:

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I often wonder the same about holes in one on a par-3 course. It's still one shot from the tee into the hole but every shot is a potential hole in one so it feels like a cheat.