Hogs Head Golf Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Happened to stumbled across this new course on the internet, opened in 2018:-

https://www.hogsheadgolfclub.com/#section-1

Don't come across that many golf courses being opened in recent times and couldn't find anything on a search of this forum.

Not looking to play it, but anyone know anything about it, the website didn't really come up on a google search after stumbling on it but did read on one website that they had dumped umpteen tonnes of sand on it to make the course. Is it an old course just redone ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OO, looks nice., although the first minute of the video cunningly shows the same hole but from many angles. The trickster tricksters!!

I played Waterville last year which was pretty good and in a lovely setting which is the other side of the village.

I cant find green fees, are they published yet?

D

Deleted Member 1156

OO, looks nice., although the first minute of the video cunningly shows the same hole but from many angles. The trickster tricksters!!

I played Waterville last year which was pretty good and in a lovely setting which is the other side of the village.

Yes you can see it from Waterville, it is a big money American venture with loads of properties being built on the site as well. The GM at Waterville told me that quite a few of their rich overseas members were joining there as well. Not sure if it will be open to common oiks like us :eek:

D

Deleted member 21258

Funny enough, I stumbled across it when looking at google maps and scanning across to see what was near Waterville and saw it on the map and thought it might be a cheap course to play but then read it was 250 euros on one website so I discounted it fast.:eek:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes you can see it from Waterville, it is a big money American venture with loads of properties being built on the site as well. The GM at Waterville told me that quite a few of their rich overseas members were joining there as well. Not sure if it will be open to common oiks like us :eek:

When I went to waterville I came in from north of the village so didnt see it, but on a tour around the ring of Kerry, I think we drove all the way through the village (past the Charlie chaplin statue) and didnt notice it.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
When I went to waterville I came in from north of the village so didnt see it, but on a tour around the ring of Kerry, I think we drove all the way through the village (past the Charlie chaplin statue) and didnt notice it.

How was Kerry’s ring?

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's built on the land that was once Skellig Bay Golf Club but is a complete redevelopment and bears no resemblance to Skellig.

Owned and paid for by a couple of American billionaires almost as a private playground for them and their mates but also open to membership for a select few and I believe they only open up 1 fourball per day for visitors to pay and play but at €1000 for the time slot.

Here's the write up from an Irish newspaper:

The headland which is home to Ireland’s newest course is the same one occupied by Skellig Bay Golf Club, which opened in 2006 and closed a couple of years ago.
Such are the changes by the new owners, however, that Hogs Head should be classified as a new course.
This was a case of wipe the slate clean and start again, and a big budget meant anything was possible.
The charming stone walls that defined the old Skellig Bay are now mostly gone. New grasses were planted, new soil and sand were introduced (much of it for drainage purposes) and new routing applied: these meant the walls had to go.
Hogs Head has found charm elsewhere… and lots of it. The location is captivating as holes start inland, with views up into the mountains, and then work their way out to the headland with dramatic sea vistas and still more mountains.
The philosophy behind this Robert Trent Jones Junior-designed course is quite different to elsewhere. It is not a private club — as many people believe — and its unofficial motto of ‘built by friends for friends for fun’ indicates a certain warmth and welcome — both on the course and off it — but you will pay a €250 green fee to play here.
The course is open and exposed to the elements as it rises and falls constantly across the headland. It is generous off the tee — all part of the friendliness — and you shouldn’t lose a ball here unless you find the river on the front nine.
The bunkering is neither prolific nor penal so you can swing freely. Most golfers will love that.
Indeed, in the middle of the back nine, close to the sea and on new land purchased for the course, two fairways slide up next to each other and merge fleetingly to create a single fairway close to 140 yards wide.
The greens are very approachable and undulations are subtle rather than severe. You’ll be surprised at how often what looks like a simple putt just isn’t.
There are extras here which once again add to the fun side of things.
The Biarritz green is a nod to classic design, as is the punchbowl green which follows.
There’s a double green on the back nine while the par three 14th offers the most dramatic tee shot of the day… whichever of its two greens is in play. It is shaped and sculpted and elegant, and perfectly conditioned.
Hogs Head is not hugely strategic — you won’t walk off 18 feeling beaten up by the course — but that again leans on the fun and friendly philosophy.