Hitting with hands.

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a problem knowing what to call this as I seem to hit with my hands - feel as if I cannot get all the power to my clubhead.

This is not a driver/long wood problem but creeps in when playing shorter clubs and is most noticable when putting.

I now putt well(thanks to Bob)and with confidence but during a round, start leaving the ball short due to, what I feel, is pushing my hands and not the clubhead towards the hole.

You would think if I knew the problem I would be able to work out the answer but I can't.

I don't want to hit each club a mile, I just want to be more consistent and feel the power in the correct place. A well hit shot for me has nothing to do with distance hit but that wonderful feel of the ball going off the club face correctly ... pure Heaven.

I therefore feel let down when this lack of 'tempo' (due to my hands 'hitting' the ball) results in an OK shot but landing short of the target.

How do I get this hands delay to allow the clubhead to come in and do it's job??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hitting with the hands is dodgy at the best of times.
I suspect you've stopped turning through the shot with your lower half.
Is your grip weak at all or do you open the clubface on the backswing?

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
I would suggest that I feel I lead with my hands, not wristy on putting as such, more a timing problem, power is reduced by the time the clubhead reaches the ball. Now this is my opinion but I am only the guy hanging onto the club!
I really feel that I should have a resistance at hand level to stop my hands going forward to then allow my clubhead to catch up and do it's work!

I do feel I go through my iron shots with my lower body and my grip is not weak but I can open the clubface on take away without being aware of it (caught on camera, to my utter astonishment).

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hitting with the hands is dodgy at the best of times.
I suspect you've stopped turning through the shot with your lower half.

That's my problem, and don't even get me started on the backswing!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Total guess based on lack of video (I'm in that kind of mood)...

Your posture is too upright - your using your hands/arms instead of the big 'turn' muscles.

The grip of the club isn't coming through before the clubhead - you throw away any 'lag' that you might have created.

S

Snelly

I think Fred Couples has a beautiful late hit with the hands and it is something I have always tried to emulate in my swing.

Not the end of the world to have active hands in your swing but it depends where and also on the results you achieve! Works for me but you are having issues so it could be the cause of the problem. As said above, really tough to diagnose anything without seeing you hit a ball.

Snelly.

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks folks I'm not into video/uploading so at the moment I will try to be aware of wrists and opening the face too much, in the shot.

Thanks!