Hitting the Driver

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am currently struggling with my Driver.

I have found a tee height which is suitable for the club, however I have tried numerous different swings, and speeds, and I am still getting the same out come!
My ball is either being topped or going off to the left or right. My problem is that I just cannot hit the ball straight off the tee with my driver.

Some of the courses I play, do have the odd hole that plays down hill, so being able to hit the ball with my driver could give me a nice setup for my second shot!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
No im afraid not. I have tried slowing my swing speed down if that helps?

What in place of a video :D :D :D

Most folk will really need a video to have a look at it, failing that go see your pro.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I have struggled with my driver since I took up the game. I see a pro but he was convinced that working up from my wedges was the way to go and as such we have only just started hitting driver during lessons. He gave me a few pointers of how to set up for a good driver swing which you may like to try at the range.

Ball off left heel
turn shoulders to the right (open)
turn legs to the left (closed)
weight slightly on left foot and pivot around this point (to avoid sway)
swing around the body but hold the face straight through impact.

The improvement for me was instant and something I am now working very hard on at the range to get it right. There is no substitute for getting your own lesson and having an expert eye see your swing and make the changes themselves.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Make sure your hands are not leading the clubhead at impact with your driver, this can cause the problems you are explaining. Try working on your hands and the clubface being level as you make impact.