Hitting the ball out of the hosel

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a great front 9 yesterday, 3 birdies, and felt great. The par 5 5th however left me with a huge 9... 3 shots chopping out of rough but a shanked into water chip shot. The ball clean came off the hosel of the club.

The back 9 became a disaster, the same thing happened on my 8 iron on a par 3 resulting in 3 off the tee, and a couple more times before the end of the round. Went round the back in 53... disaster.

Anyway, the question is what causes shots coming off the hosel usually? Is it a stance issue, or a swing issue?

Thanks in advance!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a great front 9 yesterday, 3 birdies, and felt great. The par 5 5th however left me with a huge 9... 3 shots chopping out of rough but a shanked into water chip shot. The ball clean came off the hosel of the club.

The back 9 became a disaster, the same thing happened on my 8 iron on a par 3 resulting in 3 off the tee, and a couple more times before the end of the round. Went round the back in 53... disaster.

Anyway, the question is what causes shots coming off the hosel usually? Is it a stance issue, or a swing issue?

Thanks in advance!

I had a real bad case of the shanks when I first went to my pro.

He told me that in my case it was caused by a poor turn and rotation through the downswing.

Since I've improved how I turn through the ball, well, they are now at a minimum. At the range yesterday I had 100 balls (... I had the afternnon to my self.. So sue me :D) and out of that 100 I hit 1 arthur J.

Having said that, it may be something different in your case.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When you say poor turn Gareth, do you mean too little turn or too much?

Too little.

As an example, my arms would be through the shot and extending (Post impact), but my hips were only just past there address position, and I mean, only just. Too much trying too hit the ball with my arms instead of roating through the shot.

A

Alex1975

I had a shocking case of the shanks a couple of months ago, I was too flat and the club was getting way behind me so by the time I had dragged it from around my ankles I only had time to present the neck to the ball. One night in practice I hit over 30 shanks in a row, came close to tears... Very simple fix in the end and I have played my best golf ever since then.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It can be due to number of causes but taking the club back too far inside and fanning the clubface open in the takeaway are major contributors.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was it the low skanky shank or was their a bit of height and distance on it?

I can't help with any advice, but there is nothing more beautiful than the flighted pipe ;)

You just have to stand and admire it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It can be due to number of causes but taking the club back too far inside and fanning the clubface open in the takeaway are major contributors.

The shanks I do are from leaving the clubface open at impact, also most of my bad shots seem to come from poor hip rotation. It's getting better, but slowly :angry: