Hitting the 460cc driver.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I play a driver which, despite being a current model, is substantially smaller in volume (275cc) than most others. Shorter (43½") too.
My problems with the modern huge driver are these:

First, I have to tee the ball too high, play it too far forward in my stance, and try to hit it slightly on the upswing. That's how one plays the big driver, but it's not a normal golf shot.

Second, although it's easily correctable, I suppose, is that the club is too damned long. If I'm standing that far from the ball, I tend to loose interest and scan the horizen for short skirts.
How well am I expected to hit a ball from more than 45" away? With a club too upright for its length and the toe pointing to the sky at address?

Now everybody not born in the last half hour had to make that transition. If you're my age, you began with solid persimmon or laminated maple woods, ie, actually made of wood.
Even if you're a little younger, you may have begun with TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon or Titleist PT metalwoods which were proportioned like wooden woods.
After that, they got a little bigger.
But these massive titanium things are a horse of a different color, however, and I don't understand why the transition was harder for me than almost everybody else.

I don't know that I'm actually losing anything hitting my smaller driver, so in practical terns, it's not a massive problem.
Nevertheless, I wish I understood why it seemed so hard to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't bother about it. I occasionally take my old Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III (from about 2002 I guess) out and can hit it as far as I need to. I tee the ball much lower than with my current driver and maybe have it a little bit further back in my stance.