Hitting off the toe

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can anyone help. I'm hitting a lot of iron shots off the toe so losing a lot of distance. I've tried looking at my address position thinking I was leaning too far forward but that seemed ok. I've tried moving marginally closer but still managing to do it. I'll go to the range tomorrow and video it but any clues would be helpful

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
3 things, maybe you are coming over the top? they can come of either the toe or the heel when yo do that
Are you standing too far away from the ball, easy drill to find out, stand with your back straight arms extended(with club in hand) at waist height then bend from the waist, putting the club straight down behind the ball, this will give a good indication if you ar too far away.
Lastly, check your swing sequence.If you are getting a bit quick from the top of the swing, your lower body will get ahead of you hands, which can cause this fault, try keeping a smooth tempo with a slight pause at the top of your backswing.....there now, are we confused! ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Make sure you warm up by streching, yada, yada.. it's probably just something to do with your recent bad back (standing too tall or pulling out of the shot a little). I wouldn't panic just yet.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer , I caught 3 off the toe of my 4 iron yesterday and what was causing it was standing a little too far from the ball and a little too upright....Once i sorted that everything was ok but as the lads have said it may be due to your back injury.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maaaaan... Justone beat me to it.

I bet it's related to your bad back and not being able to turn properly. make sure you warm up first and do some stretches, take some nurofen to reduce inflamation around the sore area even...

I reckon you'll be fine :)

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Normally for me if i hit it out of the toe its because im over the top. Hope that helps but i think you should post a video?