hitting high drives

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Cobra LD speed 10.5 driver reg shaft mid kick. slow swing 85mph . I seem to be getting more height and less distance recently. Would a change of shaft make any difference or is it just me, sad.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Cobra LD speed 10.5 driver reg shaft mid kick. slow swing 85mph . I seem to be getting more height and less distance recently. Would a change of shaft make any difference or is it just me, sad.

Sorry but likely nothing to do with the shaft or club. Your swing action is adding extra dynamic loft at impact. (assuming that you have no marks on the crown of the driver)

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry but likely nothing to do with the shaft or club. Your swing action is adding extra dynamic loft at impact. (assuming that you have no marks on the crown of the driver)
I was afraid of that no marks on my crown, at least i can say i'm dynamic in a of kind way.thanks coach i'm beyond help, old dog and all that.:thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was afraid of that no marks on my crown, at least i can say i'm dynamic in a of kind way.thanks coach i'm beyond help, old dog and all that.:thup:

Not beyond help. Any PGA pro could help sort it out for sure. Meantime try to think of the swing as a circle on an inclined plane, your job is not to think about just returning the club head on the ball, but it has to continue on leftwards through & after impact then up to the top. To do that your body needs to rotate through impact & keep rotating beyond impact to the finish.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not beyond help. Any PGA pro could help sort it out for sure. Meantime try to think of the swing as a circle on an inclined plane, your job is not to think about just returning the club head on the ball, but it has to continue on leftwards through & after impact then up to the top. To do that your body needs to rotate through impact & keep rotating beyond impact to the finish.
Thanks for your optimism Coach , I've never had a golf lesson so i might just give it a go. Do they do discounts for old codgers.
thanks again Coach :thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your optimism Coach , I've never had a golf lesson so i might just give it a go. Do they do discounts for old codgers.
thanks again Coach :thup:

Think that would be a very good idea, no doubt some discount for block booking 6 or so lessons. Which for sure would be more helpful than a new driver & not as many $'s.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers , a different coach in that series ,:whistle:
thanks again.

Nope just the same, would/have always say/said - lessons the best ways to go.

not enough detail re what's happening with overall strikes & direction, curvature etc. to offer a little ways more specific advice. & obviously no vid of the swing to see exactly what's going on.

but in general the swing maybe over steep, probably not enough 'around' the body too much independent arms not enough body rotation, probably out to in path.

but the low point of the swings arc is a good ways too far before the clubhead arrives at the ball. so with the driver the shaft is leaning much too far backwards hands to far behind the clubhead so putting a good ways more dynamic loft on the ball, with the left wrist collapsing upwards as the right palm works through upwards to the sky.

but it can be something that can be sorted out, you just need to take the plunge into some lessons.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope just the same, would/have always say/said - lessons the best ways to go.

not enough detail re what's happening with overall strikes & direction, curvature etc. to offer a little ways more specific advice. & obviously no vid of the swing to see exactly what's going on.

but in general the swing maybe over steep, probably not enough 'around' the body too much independent arms not enough body rotation, probably out to in path.

but the low point of the swings arc is a good ways too far before the clubhead arrives at the ball. so with the driver the shaft is leaning much too far backwards hands to far behind the clubhead so putting a good ways more dynamic loft on the ball, with the left wrist collapsing upwards as the right palm works through upwards to the sky.

but it can be something that can be sorted out, you just need to take the plunge into some lessons.
Sorry for my flippant reply, but i was jokingly referring to the TV series"CHEERS" that starred an old bartender called Sam and " the coach " . I'm seriously considering liaisons .:whistle:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just to muddy the waters I would suggest that you may also be doing the opposite. You may be hitting down too steeply into the ball with it teed up low and creating way too much backspin, this make the ball fly high and short.

You could try teeing a bit higher and have the ball a little more forward in your stance.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to muddy the waters I would suggest that you may also be doing the opposite. You may be hitting down too steeply into the ball with it teed up low and creating way too much backspin, this make the ball fly high and short.

You could try teeing a bit higher and have the ball a little more forward in your stance.

Happy to confirm that he's not hitting down on his drives. Definitely sweeps it off the tee.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Happy to confirm that he's not hitting down on his drives. Definitely sweeps it off the tee.
Thanks Dave for my confirmation, but iv'e taken the plunge and booked a lesson with a local pro i know.

So Monday 9am my first ever lesson at 67 years old. I think i can hear the Rocky theme tune in the background, or it may just be my hearing aid playing up.:rofl:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had my first ever lesson this morning and very happy after worrying that i might be told to take up bowls or worse. So we headed out to the oncourse practice area.
. We started with my driver that was my main concern,. After watching about dozen swings he altered my angle of attack by getting my left shoulder slightly higher than my right, and swinging more round rather than the more vertical plane i had been using.
Wow the difference after only a few swings was amazing, more distance and the ball flight he said was good with a slight draw.
I can't wait till i get to play my own course this afternoon , to see if it works there. :eek:ne:

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had my first ever lesson this morning and very happy after worrying that i might be told to take up bowls or worse. So we headed out to the oncourse practice area.
. We started with my driver that was my main concern,. After watching about dozen swings he altered my angle of attack by getting my left shoulder slightly higher than my right, and swinging more round rather than the more vertical plane i had been using.
Wow the difference after only a few swings was amazing, more distance and the ball flight he said was good with a slight draw.
I can't wait till i get to play my own course this afternoon , to see if it works there. :eek:ne:

Well done! Let us know how you get on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
but in general the swing maybe over steep, probably not enough 'around' the body too much independent arms not enough body rotation.....

Seems to have been the problem

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to have been the problem
Well spotted Foxy, and a big thanks to The Coach for the original diagnosis and encouraging me to go for a lesson.
I tried my new swing out this afternoon and i did hit a few really good ones , but more practice is required .

So its a few trips to the driving range for this old dog to practice his new trick. :fore:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
glad to hear it went well.

remember natural instincts given what you've been used to doing will tend to push you back to the action you have been making for sometime.

the extra pressure of being on the course trying to get the ball from A to B tends to take precedence so even easier to fall back into the old ways. it's just what happens, one lesson, the odd practice session is just the start on the road to recovery not enough on it's own to really effect change that sticks.

it will take a little work in practice to keep that more around yourself the with the body, so a more rotational swing, rather than the steeper more vertical arm swing you've been used too.

often you feel you may be doing the 'new' swing motion, but feel & real are tricky.
only real ways to know in practice is by careful monitoring of what you really are doing by either 'mirror' work (or reflection in a large window at home) or by taking vids with a camera or cell.

once you are more sure the swing is what you should be doing, if you can manage it some real slow motion swings at only 50% swing effort through the ball will help, so you expect the ball to only travel half the distance it normally would, distance not the object here bit being at the slower speed you can be much more aware of the swing your really making.

just watch that you neither go back to being arms swinging on a vertical plane, but also in seeking a more around the body you don't whip the club back low inside around the back of your legs.

good luck, if it gets a bit off track, go back to see the PGA Pro again for a reminder, if you can get him to shoot some video on your cell of you doing the right kind of action, then you have a marker you can take with you to view during practice.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
glad to hear it went well.

remember natural instincts given what you've been used to doing will tend to push you back to the action you have been making for sometime.

the extra pressure of being on the course trying to get the ball from A to B tends to take precedence so even easier to fall back into the old ways. it's just what happens, one lesson, the odd practice session is just the start on the road to recovery not enough on it's own to really effect change that sticks.

it will take a little work in practice to keep that more around yourself the with the body, so a more rotational swing, rather than the steeper more vertical arm swing you've been used too.

often you feel you may be doing the 'new' swing motion, but feel & real are tricky.
only real ways to know in practice is by careful monitoring of what you really are doing by either 'mirror' work (or reflection in a large window at home) or by taking vids with a camera or cell.

once you are more sure the swing is what you should be doing, if you can manage it some real slow motion swings at only 50% swing effort through the ball will help, so you expect the ball to only travel half the distance it normally would, distance not the object here bit being at the slower speed you can be much more aware of the swing your really making.

just watch that you neither go back to being arms swinging on a vertical plane, but also in seeking a more around the body you don't whip the club back low inside around the back of your legs.

good luck, if it gets a bit off track, go back to see the PGA Pro again for a reminder, if you can get him to shoot some video on your cell of you doing the right kind of action, then you have a marker you can take with you to view during practice.
Thanks again Coach, i'll try my best .:thup: