hitting fat shots looking for cure

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: hitting fat shots looking for cure - good drills

hi mike

whenever I'm chunking it the reason is because I'm getting very steep (and quick) on my downswing - which 9 times out of 10 is caused by picking the club up too sharply and quickly in the takeaway

try really concentrating on taking the club away SLOW and LOW - almost envisaging keeping the sole of the club just off the deck until your right arm is ready to naturally break at the elbow (try it at home without a club to start with)

another drill to keep the takeaway smooth and low involves putting a second ball outside your right foot (on the same target line as the normal ball you are adressing) and trying to sweep that away with your takeaway

good luck and let me know how you get on

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Re: hitting fat shots looking for cure - good drills

Less technical, this one

Try to envisage that you're playing from a very tight lie or as if looking to play a full iron from a fairway bunker. Your brain will be tuned in to the need for a cleaner strike

Care must be taken though or you might start hitting too thin - the happy medium is somewhere there though

Good luck!

MENHIR

Visit site
Hi.

You may want to check that your not loosening your right hand at the top of the back swing, and then re-gripping on the way down, this can throw/cast the club head outwards..and thus it will start to catch up with the hands...and..bump the ground.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
This probably isn't quite what you were after but may bring a smile to your face.

This time of year requires the striking of the ball to be almost perfect given the soft turf conditions. It's extremely easy in winter conditions to hit just a fraction too far behind the ball, result....the ball dribbles down the fairway and you end up with a faceful of mud ;)