Hitting Driver into the wind

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would imagine the same as any other club. Tee it lower, ball back a little in your stance more than usual and swing smooth.

Happy to be corrected though :thup:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth, I was on the understanding that teeing it lower means you hit down on it causing it to spin and balloon, from what I've read actually tee it slightly higher so you hit with an accessing swing. Also don't try to smash it as this can also create excessive spin thus causing the ball to climb in the wind.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gareth, I was on the understanding that teeing it lower means you hit down on it causing it to spin and balloon, from what I've read actually tee it slightly higher so you hit with an accessing swing. Also don't try to smash it as this can also create excessive spin thus causing the ball to climb in the wind.....

That's my take on it but don't often get it right! I think ball back in the stance a bit too??

"When it's breezy, swing easy"

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

yes - and not back in the stance either because that will result in a more downward strike through the ball etc

however, you can hit specific low shots this way with 'hooded' irons where the reduction in loft outweighs the increased spin effect of hitting down a little more.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Never really considered that I got the hang of Driving into the wind, though others considered I was 'significantly above average' at it. The 'Breezy, Easy' definitely works, more so than any adjustment to ball position or tee height - I kept my tee height quite high. On other shots, I tended to take 2 clubs more than the 'standard' distance and hit with a little punch - little follow through.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I just tend to play it as any other shot and accept I'll just have a longer shot in. If it is on the margin's on my length I'll lay up and try and get up and down for a par or use my shot to make a safe net par

S

Snelly

Three quarter swing off a lower tee will keep it a bit lower. Easy to hook with this though.

S

Snelly

please explain the contribution of the 'lower tee' - I am afraid it makes no logical sense whatsoever.

I am afraid I can't. I am not a swing expert. Just a bloke that can hit a lower ball off a lower tee when required. If you can't, then practice until you can. I am sorry that I can't be more helpful.

S

Snelly

I also was told as a kid that to help hit a lower shot, angle the tee into the ground, pointing towards the target as it helps. I always thought it was pretty unbelievable but have done it since without ever questioning the validity of the advice. This wasn't during a lesson by the way before anyone gets clever!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Same as Snelly for me, slightly lower tee and normal ball position. Just aim to hit it slightly lower on the face and that helps to keep the spin and flight down a bit. Still won't go as far as a normal shot and like Homer says, just accept a longer 2nd shot.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Trevino (master) always said...

"Into the wind swing easier to reduce spin"

"Downwind hit it harder than normal as the wind will knock the ball down quicker"

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am afraid I can't. I am not a swing expert. Just a bloke that can hit a lower ball off a lower tee when required. If you can't, then practice until you can. I am sorry that I can't be more helpful.

if you are aiming to hit it thin, as advocated by Drive4show, then I understand, but I wouldn't expect to hit the ball either as accurately, or as far, as a cleanly hit ball from the middle of the face - I guess I do 'practice it' when using the driver off the mat;but it's defintialy not controlled! :)

if I was god enough to deliberately hit a driver thin I still think I would just hit a low draw from the middle :whoo:

your comment regarding the angled tee I can relate to (on a psycological level) - setting it like that encourages the mental thought of hitting on the upstroke, and therefore with lower spin and a lower overall trajectory.