Hip turn

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking for some advice please.

My swing has recently gone to pot. Seem to have lost a lot of power and distance am hitting the ball high with a weak fadey type flight.

I got my mrs to video my swing and I notice my my hip turn was massive and I had a big over swing with the club going back way inside, and I guess looping back over with an out to in path during downswing.

I have tried to drop my hands, bring my right elbow to right hip, keep back to target etc etc and still no joy.

Is it possible the big hip turn is the culprit here? I tried just swinging a club and keeping my right knee bent with foot in a bit and turned against it. I really felt the coil and managed to get a full shoulder turn with the hips only say 30degrees.
In my practice swings this felt powerful and my weight seems to go to my front foot naturally as i cant hold the position for long, i spring back when the turn is relaxed -if this makes sense.

Are any of you able to give my you experience or thoughts please.

Thanks

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can get the drill down from that first vid I put up, it should help put you in a better position at the top.

If you are going back with too big a hip turn the club will be going inside & flat straight from the get go, you then end up a ways too flat at the top, with the shaft low & down behind your right shoulder, from here at transition then the only way most folks from that position can get back to the ball is to turn upper body out, so the swing goes way out over the top & you swing left through impact.
If you don't square the face to that path you'll get the big fades, even big slices & a lot of toe hits from the face. If you mange to square the face to that path you'll pull it dead left.

Check you have a good neutral grip in the fingers of both hands, at address looking down you can see 2 to 2 & 1/2 knuckles making sure the 'V's of the left & right hand are both pointing at your right shoulder. You don't want the left 'V' pointing at your chin seeing no knuckles at all & you don't want your right hand very strong & under the shaft with the right 'V' pointing even further right & pointing past to miss your right shoulder altogether.

Check your aiming your club face square to target first at set-up, then taking your stance & not the other way around. Make sure your shoulders, hips are aimed parallel left to the ball/target line. Then take the club back as described in the first vid I put up.

Once you can get in a good position at the top with the shaft over top of your right shoulder & not behind your back. You need to start the transition & downswing from the ground up, weight into left foot as if the foot is pressing water out of a small sponge this moves the hip laterally left some 2" before the left hip turns & clears.

Good drill to feel this transition move is the one here below, it looks strange, but if you can get the feel of it & integrate it into your swing, it will transform your swing path to impact & your ball striking.
Best way is do this drill a lot, then with an 8i swinging at 70% so you get the time to feel the move hit a bunch of balls this way. Once you can hit ten solid & your getting a better flight & a bit of a draw. Just do the same at 80%.

[video=youtube_share;0mmwXaB8u5A]http://youtu.be/0mmwXaB8u5A[/video]

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can get the drill down from that first vid I put up, it should help put you in a better position at the top.

If you are going back with too big a hip turn the club will be going inside & flat straight from the get go, you then end up a ways too flat at the top, with the shaft low & down behind your right shoulder, from here at transition then the only way most folks from that position can get back to the ball is to turn upper body out, so the swing goes way out over the top & you swing left through impact.
If you don't square the face to that path you'll get the big fades, even big slices & a lot of toe hits from the face. If you mange to square the face to that path you'll pull it dead left.

Check you have a good neutral grip in the fingers of both hands, at address looking down you can see 2 to 2 & 1/2 knuckles making sure the 'V's of the left & right hand are both pointing at your right shoulder. You don't want the left 'V' pointing at your chin seeing no knuckles at all & you don't want your right hand very strong & under the shaft with the right 'V' pointing even further right & pointing past to miss your right shoulder altogether.

Check your aiming your club face square to target first at set-up, then taking your stance & not the other way around. Make sure your shoulders, hips are aimed parallel left to the ball/target line. Then take the club back as described in the first vid I put up.

Once you can get in a good position at the top with the shaft over top of your right shoulder & not behind your back. You need to start the transition & downswing from the ground up, weight into left foot as if the foot is pressing water out of a small sponge this moves the hip laterally left some 2" before the left hip turns & clears.

Good drill to feel this transition move is the one here below, it looks strange, but if you can get the feel of it & integrate it into your swing, it will transform your swing path to impact & your ball striking.
Best way is do this drill a lot, then with an 8i swinging at 70% so you get the time to feel the move hit a bunch of balls this way. Once you can hit ten solid & your getting a better flight & a bit of a draw. Just do the same at 80%.

[video=youtube_share;0mmwXaB8u5A]http://youtu.be/0mmwXaB8u5A[/video]

Thanks for this. It makes sense to me coming back flat and then throwing the club over my shoulder. I have also been thinking about using another thought, the old keeping the face pointed at ball on backswing for as long as possible, and coming straight back..

It's funny how something can creep in and kill your swing. In trying to get a big shoulder turn I have started to use my hips more to assist and lost the torque needed, and threw my sequencing out too.

I am playing tomorrow but I am fairly confident the feel of restricting my hip turn feels powerful and familiar to me.

Will let you know how it goes.