Hip Shift drills

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been having issues recently with my hip movement. I've been turning my hips too early into my downswing, which is pretty much blocking me off and means my arms are just playing catch-up. This results in a lot of awful shots, mainly shanks and tops. I've been having lessons and know that I need to "feel" like I'm shifting my hips left towards target instead of turning them so early, but just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar? or had any drills I can work on to build the muscle memory? I know what I need to do, I just haven't been given any specific drills to work on fixing it. Anyone know of a decent drill to discourage the early turn of the hips?

Cheers!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Feel as if the downswing doesn't start until the backswing has finished. To do this, put a slight pause at the top of the backswing before the downswing begins and feel everything start down together.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a drill - to get the feeling - you could try turning your left foot (rightee) in slightly, especially if you flare it anyway. Can be tough on the left knee though, so be careful! It's a feel drill rather than a swing change!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not sure you can turn them too early. I had this problem & after reading John Jacobs' book for the umpteenth time, concentrated on moving the arms down fast as the hips turn and had the best round for round 3 years on Saturday. Can't see how you can move the hips too early when they should be first to move.

Here's what Jacobs says "Play Better Golf" (1969).

"Although this hip slide & turn are vital.........it must be accompanied by a proper down & through swing of the arms, hands & golf club"

Still the simplest instruction book I've ever read.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Feel as if the downswing doesn't start until the backswing has finished. To do this, put a slight pause at the top of the backswing before the downswing begins and feel everything start down together.

I did this at the range this morning without reading here, was just trying stuff! Pause at the top and then start, WOW! One of golfs eureka moments for me!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Managed to get to the range tonight, and I'm with Rooter. That pause at the top drill is awesome! Cheers Bob.

One word of caution, dont overdo the pause.
It's a feeling, you dont actually stop the swing and start again.
Keep filming your swing and you'll see what I mean.
As I say, keep an eye on it and make sure you dont overdo it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's brilliant isn't it....it feels so simple

That's why it works for me! While i love the input you and thecoach give on here (i do listen to the other guys too and value their opinions!) sometimes a lot of stuff can get very complicated for a simpleton like me, so really simple drills, tips etc are brilliant!

Keep up the good work! ;)