High Hook/Draw

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have now developed a high hook/draw with my irons. My woods are all fine but my irons are killing me. The odd one goes straight but the majority are going 30 yards left of where I am aiming. I've flattened my swing in recent weeks and it was working but this has crept in and is annoying me like mad. I feel I am getting good contact on the ball and its going out to 140-150 yards.
My grip is very neutral so its not that and I've tried opening the club face more but to no avail. The main issue is I can hit anyone elses irons perfectly. My irons feel extremley heavy in the head compared to others. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

BunkerBoy31

Medal Winner
Visit site
Are you iron shots starting online and hooking or starting left of the target and going further left?

If you are using the Cobra S3's with a regular graphite or steel shaft, the weight of the head could be shutting the face down at impact.

It could also be where you said ur irons feel heaving that ur gripping them tighter. This added tension with cause you to shut the face at impact.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds as if it may be your scared of turning your body and just getting a bit armsy.
Try turning properly through the ball and see if that helps

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just been down the range again. I think it is body rotation because I started hitting the ball well and thgen again it dissapeared, it doesn't help that I've hit 400 balls today trying to sort this out. The ball goes straight but it just goes to the left. Each shot sounds good and feels like its came off the centre of the face but its just not going the right way. I sometimes hit the matt first and then it feels like I am sweeping the ball off the surface.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep hit 50 to try and get my swing back, still wasn't there so hit 100, still wasn't there so hit another 50. Swing started to come back so hit another 50. Then went home annoyed, had something to eat then went back and hit 150. I'm 19st so by then end my swing resembled a caveman swinging a large stick about.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are you sure you are not getting stuck on your right side (assuming you are right handed)? Keep a little more weight on your left side and ensure that you hit the ball first but (and this is the important bit) impact the mat afterwards. Off of grass make sure you take a divot.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I try to hit the ball first but sometimes the angle the club comes round at causes me to hit the mat first and then sweep the ball which sometimes causes the hook. The majority of the time I hit the ball first and I still hook. I thought more weight on the right side would cause a slice?. Will give it a try though to eliminate it. I can usually solve swing issues myself but I'm stuck with this one.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now appears to be sorted. An ex-pro who works at the range pointed it out very quickly. I was stacking all of my weight on my left foot and almost pivoting on it with each shot. Now transfering my weight properly which has caused a few low right slices but with a bit more practice I can cut them out. Thanks for the help guys