Hickory Clubs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Trouble is modern hickory cost a pretty package, you can get original clubs quite easily for a lot less. Got a nice collection going of pre 1930 clubs i play with reg.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Trouble is modern hickory cost a pretty package, you can get original clubs quite easily for a lot less. Got a nice collection going of pre 1930 clubs i play with reg.

That's the same for all new clubs though.

Just looked up a 7 club set of Tad Moore hickory irons, $1,050 or a little under £825 plus shipping. (And you won't need to splash more cash on a set of wedges. ;))
A 7 club set of Titleist 718 AP2, £899 on American Golf.

Tad Moore Pall Mall driver, $285 or a little under £225 plus shipping.
Ping G400 driver, £350 on American Golf

As with all clubs, second hand are going to be cheaper but won't necessarily live up to what they should be, and there's no warranty.

It's the usual case of "you pays your money and you takes your choice". :)

(Having said all that, it's second hand for me!)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's the same for all new clubs though.

Just looked up a 7 club set of Tad Moore hickory irons, $1,050 or a little under £825 plus shipping. (And you won't need to splash more cash on a set of wedges. ;))
A 7 club set of Titleist 718 AP2, £899 on American Golf.

Tad Moore Pall Mall driver, $285 or a little under £225 plus shipping.
Ping G400 driver, £350 on American Golf

As with all clubs, second hand are going to be cheaper but won't necessarily live up to what they should be, and there's no warranty.

It's the usual case of "you pays your money and you takes your choice". :)

(Having said all that, it's second hand for me!)
yes it is, but if you are playing with them, i expect the would break just as easily as the SH. plus if you want to play hickory comps the ones i know off all insist on vintage original clubs.

Anyway my point was it you want to try hickory and play with them you don't need to splash out on these new clubs, on the whole you can pick up clubs for a reasonable price for originals. ive at least 2 full sets with some spare woods for less the £300 which includes two bags

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
yes it is, but if you are playing with them, i expect the would break just as easily as the SH. plus if you want to play hickory comps the ones i know off all insist on vintage original clubs.

Anyway my point was it you want to try hickory and play with them you don't need to splash out on these new clubs, on the whole you can pick up clubs for a reasonable price for originals. ive at least 2 full sets with some spare woods for less the £300 which includes two bags

All true, the new club market is in the USA where hickory play is much more popular and the supply of original clubs is less.

There they allow reproduction clubs in most competitions but as you say, they don't in the UK.
One advantage of new clubs is that they're designed around the best clubs of the hickory era and will be as near as possible a matched set. Building up a set of second hand clubs is not easy and you'll certainly end up with a few clubs that don't work for you and most will need some restoration work. But that's half the fun in my opinion.

If hickory golf ever took off in the UK then demand would soon outstrip supply, especially as many originals are leaking out to the US, Scandinavia and the Far East.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All true, the new club market is in the USA where hickory play is much more popular and the supply of original clubs is less.

There they allow reproduction clubs in most competitions but as you say, they don't in the UK.
One advantage of new clubs is that they're designed around the best clubs of the hickory era and will be as near as possible a matched set. Building up a set of second hand clubs is not easy and you'll certainly end up with a few clubs that don't work for you and most will need some restoration work. But that's half the fun in my opinion.

If hickory golf ever took off in the UK then demand would soon outstrip supply, especially as many originals are leaking out to the US, Scandinavia and the Far East.
one of the american guys i played with in the Scottish hickory champs mainly comes over to buy clubs, had already trawled every auction house and charity shop from Edinburgh To Inverness, then he was across to Aberdeen. Swedes are the same. last lot we had over they had two dealers meet them at Nairn after we had played and all (12) bought something from them.

the new hickory woods features in this link are they larger headed to make up for the larger ball do you know?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
the new hickory woods features in this link are they larger headed to make up for the larger ball do you know?

I don't know if they'll be any bigger than the original that they were copied from, but that original will be most suited to today's game.
You can even specify your shaft flex, I assume that they use a thicker or thinner shaft for this.
https://hickories.tadmoore.com/collections/woods/products/pall-mall-3-star-driver

Finding a decent weight and length driver is the most difficult thing in putting together an original set, I've got several that are either too short or too light, or both! Lofts are usually very low as well as they were designed for running golf.
That's why many hickory players use a brassie for their tee club.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't know if they'll be any bigger than the original that they were copied from, but that original will be most suited to today's game.
You can even specify your shaft flex, I assume that they use a thicker or thinner shaft for this.
https://hickories.tadmoore.com/collections/woods/products/pall-mall-3-star-driver

Finding a decent weight and length driver is the most difficult thing in putting together an original set, I've got several that are either too short or too light, or both! Lofts are usually very low as well as they were designed for running golf.
That's why many hickory players use a brassie for their tee club.
i've got 5 drivers only one i can hit and thats because it has a very stiff shaft, which is difficult to come by. my preferred club off the tee is a spoon, looks like it has plenty of loft, goes just as far as the diver and allows me to only have to have one wood in the bag, so i can fit in an extra mashie. All the Brassies i have all have tiny heads and a couple the heads are smaller than the ball:ROFLMAO: which is quite off putting;)