Hi all & Ping i500 irons

Doodle

Visit site
Hi all.
I have just joined as a new member.
I started out a few years ago as a new player off a high h/c.
I have always used Ping G15 & G20 irons which have brought my h/c down to 11

I was breifly knocking on the door of single figures earlier in the year (9.5) before going up a few.
Anyway, I feel that due to the heavy offset of the Ping G irons & due to the fact that I do have a rather strong grip, I was in need of some new less offset irons.
So, after completing a Ping online fitting, they recommend Ping i210 irons / 0.5" shorter / red dot & R300 regular shafts.

So off I went yesterday to AG.
I took my irons to compare.
I hit the Ping i210 & the Ping i500
The i210 felt nice & the flight was great, but the i500 was out of this world, long / high & straight.
The feel was something else, as smooth & effortless as anything.
I was mega impressed.
I am going back today for a full fitting, which will be interesting.
Can I have some thoughts & opinions of the peeps on here who are already gaming Ping i500's please.
Cheers all.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't play i500's, as I'm still happy with my i20's. However I would suggest being fitted by somewhere other than AG, perhaps if you are certain on Ping one of their fitting centres around the country?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can find a comparative review of both cubs on tis website.
The most noticeable difference to me is the difference in the lofts the i210 having less loft.

The i500 are designed to be the forgiving of the two sets .

D

Deleted member 23270

I was fitted for and bought a set of i500's in the summer. Because they have hollow heads I found I couldn't live with the sound and feel from them and I actually swapped them out for i210's which feel and sound much more traditional. Yes the 500's have cranked lofts and go miles but I don't care about that. If I have 165 yards to go I really don't care if the number on the bottom of the club says 6 or 7. I am much happier with the 210's but it is up to you to decide which you prefer.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi all.
I have just joined as a new member.
I started out a few years ago as a new player off a high h/c.
I have always used Ping G15 & G20 irons which have brought my h/c down to 11

I was breifly knocking on the door of single figures earlier in the year (9.5) before going up a few.
Anyway, I feel that due to the heavy offset of the Ping G irons & due to the fact that I do have a rather strong grip, I was in need of some new less offset irons.
So, after completing a Ping online fitting, they recommend Ping i210 irons / 0.5" shorter / red dot & R300 regular shafts.

So off I went yesterday to AG.
I took my irons to compare.
I hit the Ping i210 & the Ping i500
The i210 felt nice & the flight was great, but the i500 was out of this world, long / high & straight.
The feel was something else, as smooth & effortless as anything.
I was mega impressed.
I am going back today for a full fitting, which will be interesting.
Can I have some thoughts & opinions of the peeps on here who are already gaming Ping i500's please.
Cheers all.

The i500's are "easier" to hit than the i210 according to Ping and where they sit them in their current set up.

I may very well be joining you with i500's.

Biggest issue "people" seem to have with i500 is "lack of feel/noise" which is all subjective.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why? everything is personal and if he prefers the i500 over the i210, who are we to say he's wrong.
As long as they give him the confidence he wants then thats all that matters.

I never said anyone was wrong, suggest you read my comments prior to jumping in with both feet.

Dave's reply I hadn't read, I was replying to the original post. Then I noticed what had been said be Dave.

?️

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read a lot of reviews about the hollow headed irons (i500, P790) and there was a common theme that they can be inconsistent in distance. Never tried them myself, but the reviews said the odd one springs off the face a club or two further than you want it too. Just something to keep in mind and look out for when your testing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I read a lot of reviews about the hollow headed irons (i500, P790) and there was a common theme that they can be inconsistent in distance. Never tried them myself, but the reviews said the odd one springs off the face a club or two further than you want it too. Just something to keep in mind and look out for when your testing.

Seems to be a common theme in USA and more "common" in TM going by GolfWRX reviews. I do take a lot of these with a shovel full.of salt right enough.

The other bonus is that Ping now appear to have got their finish far better with the Hydropearl 2.0 being much much much much more durable that the original finish.

I have been playing a borrowed set of i500 last couple of weeks and they seem pretty damn consistent to me.

Doodle

Visit site
Well I'm back from my fitting.
The guy was very good & it was mega interesting as it was my 1st ever fitting.
The results were as follows.
Standard length shaft
Red dot 1° flat
Dynamic Gold 105 shaft was 3g lighter than the standard shaft & felt lovely to hit but the ball flew very high (too high in fact)
Ping AWT 2.0 shaft felt very good as well, it gave me a lower & very nice ball flight compared to the Dynamic Gold shafts & the dispersion was much tighter.
I will agree with one comment made on here, they do make a very loud crack off the face.
The mid irons felt buttery smooth to hit & judging by what I saw today, they are at least one, if not two clubs longer than my present G20's
I didn't hit any wedges, so I can't comment on any supposed lack of feel from them (I assume that was what the lack of feel comment was referring too?)
Anyway, taking all things into account & I loved them.
I will have a think about it & maybe hit some other irons in comparison, but I was definitely impressed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never said anyone was wrong, suggest you read my comments prior to jumping in with both feet.

Dave's reply I hadn't read, I was replying to the original post. Then I noticed what had been said be Dave.

?️
I wasn't jumping to anything, but as you hadnt quoted anyone and said what you had, it came across to me as a critisism of the choice of i500 over the i210.
Wasn't meaning anything unpleasant about it, sorry if you took it the wrong way:)

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Standard length shaft
Red dot 1° flat
Dynamic Gold 105 shaft was 3g lighter than the standard shaft & felt lovely to hit but the ball flew very high (too high in fact)
Ping AWT 2.0 shaft felt very good as well, it gave me a lower & very nice ball flight compared to the Dynamic Gold shafts & the dispersion was much tighter.
I will agree with one comment made on here, they do make a very loud crack off the face.
The mid irons felt buttery smooth to hit & judging by what I saw today, they are at least one, if not two clubs longer than my present G20's
I didn't hit any wedges, so I can't comment on any supposed lack of feel from them (I assume that was what the lack of feel comment was referring too?)
I will have a think about it & maybe hit some other irons in comparison, but I was definitely impressed.

If you haven't hit them already deffo hit the i210's as well. When I got new irons I was looking at either the i500's or the i210's and ended up with the i210's. Was based on feel for me as the i210's felt SO much nicer, softer etc. than the i500's which felt too harsh off the face for me. But that's just a personal opinion, you may prefer the i500's.

You can't go wrong with either IMO, Ping make fantastic irons.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Standard length shaft
Red dot 1° flat
Personally I'd buy separate wedges to gap from whatever loft (45 degrees I think) your PW is. The noise will always be subjective. If the ball goes here you want most of the time I'd suggest you can get over the sound

Springveldt

Visit site
I had that problem when I tried the P790's, you would just get this one out of nowhere that carried an extra 15 yards for no reason. The i500's where really consistent for me when getting fit but I have had a couple of flyers from then off the tee this year (I remember a 7 iron I hit into a par 3 that normally carries 165 flew 185 and right over the green for some reason, the ball flight and strike didn't feel any different than usual).

Standard length shaft
Red dot 1° flat
I've got them in Red Dot as well as my miss was a pull left. Went with heavier shafts though (KBS-Tour 120) as these kept the ball flight down for me as I had a tendency to flip a little (would end up with high pulls). I love them as well. Bare in mind they are longer than your old irons because the are stronger lofted. Even with the stronger loft I was hitting them just as high as my old G25's though, but they just went further.

As you said, the noise is hit and miss. I don't mind it at all but some hate it. Great irons though, I'll be keeping mine for a while yet.

Can't comment on the wedges as I've got Vokey's, but the Glide wedges do look tempting.